Clairvoyant | Teen Ink

Clairvoyant

By klutzyblonde, Grand Junction, Colorado
klutzyblonde, Grand Junction, Colorado

I have no special talent, I am just passionately curious

-Albert Einstein

Author's note: The Hunger Games inspired my characters, but the story took it's own path.

Prologue;

All I am looking for is some piece of truth.

Nothing in my life seems to be the truth anymore. There's not some concrete realism that I can believe anymore. Even the basic laws of physics, gravity and biology have been completely desecrated with the life that has been thrusted at me abruptly, leaving me confounded and befuddled. I have to let go of any sentiments or ideas that I've held ever in my life and relearn everything that I've learned since late elementary school.

Is some solid verity too much to ask for?

And the one piece of truth that keeps coming up is so disoriented and distorted that it appears to infeasible to be true. I don't want this one thing to be true, it can't be true. There's just no way. Sure enough, though, it is. How? How could the most impossible thing in the world be true when the most logical laws in the world have now just become possible concepts and whimsical ideas?

Every time I think I find the truth, I unveil yet another lie, another secret that has been hidden from me since I was a child. When I think that I find an resolution to a question, I end up with three more questions and no answers. If I were anyone else, had any other personality, I would have given it up long ago and moved on with my life. But no, I have the most obnoxiously curious and boldly speculative personality in the world. So of course, I lie in my bed at night with a searing headache, all the questions and lies swarming my mind like flies.

Soon I'm going to go insane if I don't find some answers, discover some small piece of true reality...if I'm not already insane. Maybe sanity is just another lie that the world wants you to believe.

Either way; all I am asking for is some truth.

Chapter One

I should have listened to the guy with the gun. Everyone always listen to the guy with the gun. Who would be stupid enough to not listen to him? You’d have to be an idiot not to.

Apparently, I was that idiot.

He caught my eye among the crowd of thousands of people. The guy with the gun stuck out from everyone else, though he seemed to be utterly invisible to any of my friends. Maybe it was the way he appeared to blend in with the crowd, a hunter in camouflage among the trees and bushes. What stuck out to me, though?

The way he stuck something into that man’s neck and walked away like nothing ever happened.

The way no one else saw slip by as a throng of curious and concerned people formed around the man who was down on the ground.

Stepping away from my group of friends, I trailed in the direction that the guy headed. My bravery threshold must have been very high today if I was willing to do something that dangerous and stupid. Maybe it was a combination of that and a lack of common sense. My mom always says that I never had any common sense anyways; always going after justice no matter what was in the way.

Pushing and shoving through the crowd that always concentrated here on New Year’s Eve, I barely succeeded to keep my eye on him with his black hoodie on in the darkest part of the night. If it were a normal night, he would no doubt be out of my sight already. But the glow sticks and glowing cell phone screens mixed in with the typical city lights made the task just under impossible. He wasn't going to get away if I could help it.

On a night exactly like this, I had let my father's murderer off. I hadn't even put up a fight to see who it was. The fear was too overbearing. Now it was up to me to find the guy who had just murdered the man back there. Even though they didn't know it, the family was counting on me to make sure that this murderer was caught and punished.

He vanished from my sight for moment when he turned a corner onto 7th Avenue. Panicking, I paced myself even faster, almost breaking into a jog. Soon enough, he resurfaced into my line of sight. Vibrations in my left pocket sidetracked me from looking directly at him.

“What?” I snapped over the phone, not bothering to look at who it was. I was afraid that if I did, I would lose him again. That wasn't worth the risk.

“Where the hell are you?” A voice on the other line demanded. “We looked everywhere.”

“I don’t know, I can’t see anything,” I lied, “Let’s just meet up at my place afterwords, alright?”

“There’s still plenty of time until the ball drops,” Jackie, my best friend, implored. “Why don't you try to find us again?”

“I can’t hear you, there’s too much noise,”I lied continually, well, it wasn’t a total lie. The thousands of people in time Square murmuring amongst themselves did make it particularly difficult to have a half-way decent phone conversation.

“Fine, but don’t say I didn’t try to find you,” she said. “You shou-

I hung up. As much as I dearly loved my best friend, she always chose the most problematic times to call or text. After another block full of vibrations, I yanked the phone out of my pocket and turned the damn thing off. Phones can be useful in certain situations, but sometimes there are circumstances, such as this one, that your phone is a goddamn nuisance.

Blink once he’s there, blink twice and he’s gone.

I stretched up onto my tiptoes to see if I could catch a glimpse of him again. While not paying attention to the people around me, one of them paid attention to me. Well, one knocked into me anyways. In the moment of my free-falling, I was afraid that no one was going to see me and I would get trampled to death. I had seen those videos, where someone trips in a crowd, no one sees them and they end up getting stepped on so much that they end up dying from all of their injuries. That has to be one of the most demeaning deaths to ever exist; getting trampled to death But after all, it prooved that my fear was all melodramatic, because my body never even hit the ground.

I was caught.

My legs nearly slipped from underneath me, but they were stopped by the arms that caught me. Eyes that had been closed while bracing for impact with the cement were now opened, peering at the savior. He was smiling down on me.

“You okay?” He asked me, his arm wrapped tightly around my shoulders so that I wouldn’t fall. His eyes showed genuine concern, while he was smiling. Funny how such contradictory expressions would look atrocious on anyone else could look so perfect on this guy. No matter how ‘perfect’ he was, I had more important things that I needed to accomplish. For some reason I thought about Jackie's likely opinion on this guy.

I was still tipped in his arms when I realized why I was away from my friends in the first place. Restoring my footing, I stood up on my own again and stepped away from him.

“Yeah, thanks,” I told him gratefully, though a bit rushed.“But I have to go.”

“Wait-

I had already taken off.

***

Jaze knew that face, knew that feeling when he caught the girl, saved her from falling. He recalled where the feeling came from, but he shook it off because there was no way in hell she could still be alive...right? Even in his world, the dead don't dome back to life. That happens sometimes; you'll see someone that looks like a dead family member or a friend. You get that rush of deja vu and then the same feeling snakes underneath your skin.

Before he could even take a second look she was back up on her feel again after a muttering what must have been a thanks. For a moment, the thought of following her crossed his mind, but he quickly reminded himself that he had more important things to take care of. There were some loose ends that he was sure he was going to have to tie up tonight.

That was his job, right?

Where was Gage?

***

Gage took a deep breath while walking through the chilly December night, feeling that tugging feeling he always got after doing a kill job. The tugging feeling went away, he would have to deal with that later. That man probably wasn't the only one that he was going to kill tonight.

He had completed his first job of the night. Now he just needed to collect the money. Actually, money wasn't that big of a deal. In fact, the money didn't matter at all to Gage. A rival organization of the man he had just killed had hired Gage to go and kill this guy for ten grand. The people that were willing to pay a seventeen year old to go and kill another man weren't exactly what you would call upstanding. He just wanted to check the situation out. You know, see if the world would be better off without these guys as well. He was sure that his bosses would be happy to get rid of some threats to the city. Actually, they probably didn't care what he did as long as he kept it remotely quiet and didn't reveal his identity to anyone.

Besides, New Years was in a few minutes. The sound of shouting, cheering and fireworks would knock out the sound of any guns going off, right? Either way, it's not like the police could find him. No fingerprints were ever filed away into the government. DNA sample wouldn't do squat either.

Gage Romero doesn't exist.

It's hard to find someone that doesn't exist.

***

There was another block of ducking, jumping and running before I spotted the guy in the black hoodie. You would think that it would be infeasible for me to find him again on such a night as this, with thousands of people. The task was probably harder than finding a needle in a haystack. And yet, it was almost effortless for me.

I ducked under a dozen balloons that a twelve or thirteen year old boy was holding holding for some girl who craved her first kiss at Time Square at Midnight on New Year’s Eve. A little girl wandered in front of me, and I was forced to lightly push her out of the way because there was no other place for me to pass through.

Finally, three blocks straight and one right turn block, the crowd started wearing down to the point that there wasn’t much of anyone in the streets except for a few stragglers here and there. Otherwise, it was the black hoodie and me about a half a block away from each other. He made another right turn. I sped up so that I wouldn’t lose him yet again.

My heart stopped when I turned.

Nothing.

No one.

My eyes widened. How the hell could I lose him again? How could I be so stupid?

I started walking again, maybe he was just concealed in the shadows.

Turns out, he really was hidden in the shadows, just not in front of me. Behind me to be exact. I was just too oblivious to spot his hand before it snatched out and pulled me into the shadows along with him. His hand covered my mouth before I had an opportunity to scream out loud for help. Bringing my hands up to pull his hand off of me, I was thwarted by his free arm wrapped around my arms so that I couldn’t move them.

“You really thought that you could follow me without me noticing?” He voice was lethally quiet. No one else would be able to hear him except for me, which was the scariest part.

With all the strength that I could muster, I yanked myself out of his grasp. Whipping around, I turned to face the heartless killer. Common sense was telling me that I should be scared out of my wits, running the hell away from him. This guy had just injected a likely deadly chemical into a man in one of the most crowded places on Earth. Who knows what he would do to me when there wasn’t anyone around to witness?

“You really thought no one would see you?” I challenged, refusing to back down no matter how insidious (and boneheaded) it was.

He nodded as if he had been matched up in making plausible points.

“Let me guess, you’re one of Jones girls?” He asked me, looking me up and down, making me feel like a zoo animal on display.

My eyebrows narrowed, who the hell was ‘Jones’? He had to know, because I sure as heck didn’t have a clue.

“No.”

“You’re not supposed to be able to see me,” he stated. “No one is. Let alone some bitchy teenage girl.”

He had no room to talk about age. Eighteen, maybe, at the max. I would guess seventeen if I was really going to bet on his age. And bitchy? He was one to talk. Who had just been the one to kill someone without looking back once? Smart move would be to not argue with him, but what would be the fun in that?

“Oh, I’m the ‘bitchy’ one?” I asked. “I’m not the one that just killed an innocent without a second thought.”

He jeered at the word ‘innocent’ as if it were a joke that the man were innocent. What was with this guy? Oh, right, he didn’t give a s*** about human life at all. I had forgotten about the one little detail.

His time of playing games were over. I knew this by the look on his face, but he decided to make sure I understood his intentions by snatching me again and slamming me against the brick wall. For a fraction of a second, my eyes widened. I strained for my eyes to go back to their average size. Despite the adrenaline rushing through my veins at a hundred miles an hour, I remained calm. Something cold brushed up against my neck, a cool metal.

The barrel of his pistol.

Oh, so he also had a gun. Surprise, surprise.

The oddest thought occurred inside of my head though. He wasn't going to kill me, he couldn't kill me.

“This is a warning,” he pressed it deeper into my throat, making sure I understood. “You’re not going to follow me, or else…well, we both know what happens, don't we?”

He took his hand off the trigger and slowly put the gun in his pocket. I leaned against the wall for support for an instant, before going after him once again. As soon as I took one step in his direction, he took out the gun again and pressed it against my temple now. This time I thought he was really going to shoot me.

“What did I just tell you?” His voice elevated a tiny bit. “Do you want me to blow a hole through your head?”

“No,” I denied, “I want to know why you killed that innocent man.”

“Innocent?” He scoffed again. “You actually think that man was innocent? He was a killer, a drug dealer, he runs a child prostitute business. Tell me now, who is so innocent?”

“Two wrongs doesn’t make a right,” I insisted, quoting what my dad used to always tell me.

He rolled his eye, looking at me like I was a kindergarten teacher talking to one of her kids that had just hit another kid for stealing something.

“You should shut up and go enjoy your perfect life,” he suggested. “Don’t follow me, you got that?”

I didn’t nod, but challenged him instead. “If you don’t want me to follow you, then why don’t you just shoot me now?” I challenged.

“Maybe I should,” he agreed.

He pulled the trigger. I braced myself for impact of the bullet. My effort of following this guy just for the sake of the dead man’s family was going to be completely wasted for nothing. But the bullet never actually came. The thought occurred in my head again he can't kill you.

“Be glad that the safety was on,” he muttered before walking off, leaving me there, shaking.

I should probably listen to the guy with the gun, right?

Of course I should. But what would be the fun in doing that?

***

The girl had spunk, that was sure. Spunk that Gage was sure wasn't a human. There had to be a reason that the girl was able to see him. And yet...he could hear every single thought that she was thinking. Maybe he had just made a small mistake this time. Or she could be a Medium. Her thoughts that he heard over and over from her was something about her father's murderer. She could very well be a medium. But a medium shouldn't be able to see him if they were human.

He had tried to pull that trigger, he really did. The safety hadn't been on like he had muttered before. The bullet just didn't come out. It wasn't jammed, though, he checked. Some relief washed over him that he hadn't killed her. Though his bosses didn't care what scum he killed, Gage was fairly sure they would be upset if they found out he killed an 'innocent.' Besides, he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he turned out to be like his father. That's exactly the thing he was trying to avoid.

Good god, was the girl still following him? She really was brave. Following him after he practically threatened to kill her if he saw her again. Brave or a bit stupid. To Gage, the two things were pretty much the same. The last thing that he wanted to deal with right now was a teenage girl. He had much more important and grave things to deal with at the moment.

He'd better get this over with before she caught up with him again.

***

As I regained my sanity and breath, my vision narrowed towards him walking in the other direction.

Something moved me forward, trailing him yet again. Despite every muscle and bone fighting against the move, something else forced me to. Something of divine intervention maybe? It had to be something supernatural because I don't think even my conscience could talk myself into doing something this risky after my life had just been threatened...twice.

He turned another time, except for this time it wasn’t onto another street, it was into a parking garage. My brain was screaming at me not to go in there. On the street, I would definitely be discovered by morning, but my body might not be found in a parking garage just so soon. But I was already here, why not just go through with it? Might as well.

I entered the garage.

Dark.

Blackness.

Talking.

Where was the talking coming from?

I followed the sound, bumping into a few cars on the way there. I could literally see nothing inside, since there was no light from outside except from the entrance. And I didn’t dare bring out myself, or I might attract attention to myself.

The sound got louder and louder until it sounded as if there were more than just two people talking. I recognized the voice as the black hoodie.

“Our boss doesn’t want us to come back without confirmation that the target is dead,” another man, probably in his thirties, said.

“Watch the news, the media is all over that s***,” black hoodie told the man.

My eyes were adjusting to the light as I turned another corner and a car was giving off a little bit of light. There were three of them; black hoodie facing the other two as if he were annoyed and pissed.

“Look, you’re not getting paid until you bring the body to us,” one of them bargained.

Black hoodie shrugs. “That’s completely fine with me. At least I got the pleasure of killing that bastard. I don’t need to be paid to feel honored.”

I raised my eyebrows. This guy seemed like the type that wanted to get paid for a job that he did, no matter what. But he seemed to be happy that he just got to kill the guy. Why would you be happy just to kill someone? This guy was sick from the inside out.

My dad’s murder came back to me again.

Trigger.

Bullet.

Impact.

Dead.

I remember all of it like it was yesterday. That day had been haunting me all day, every day for the last seven years. Was that why I was so determined to catch this guy? Maybe it was my father’s killer? Of course it wasn’t, he would have only been ten or eleven at max. And yet I felt a strange connection that he had to my dad’s death. Maybe I thought that giving this guy justice would help honor my dad for the justice that he never had in his murder.

Who was I kidding?

He wasn’t my father’s killer. Giving him justice wasn’t going to change the fact that my dad’s murderer is still on the loose. That didn’t mean that I shouldn’t give up on this one. Just because doing something wasn’t going to get me a personal reward didn’t mean that I shouldn’t do it. A little something called integrity.

“I don’t think you get how this goes, kid,” the other man joked. “You get what we want or we kill you.”

“I guess I didn’t get the memo,” black hoodie joked back, but with an edge in his tone.

My eyes had adjusted enough to see that he was reaching for his gun again. That exact gun that he had pointed at me not just once, but twice.

I could hear the crowd starting to count down the seconds to New Year’s. Had it really just been ten minutes ago that I had started following him? The time had been stretched out for hours in my mind.

“Sixty,” guns were brought out by all of them, two of them pointed at black hoodie.

“Fifty,” the crowd shouted.

“There’s a common ground that we could all agree on if we just try a little,” black hoodie tried to reason with them.

“Forty.”

The two men looked hesitant on killing someone. Probably because they didn’t have to do the dirty work for their ‘boss’. Black hoodie was just the one that they hired to do the dirty work.

“Thirty.”

They all looked at each other, waiting for someone, anyone to shoot. When no one did, black hoodie started to lower his gun. The two men started towards him, trying to catch him by surprise. Why didn’t they just kill him? Maybe they wanted him to live.

But it wasn’t going to be a problem for black hoodie to fight the two men off. Through a series of hard-to-follow kicks, punches and chops to certain body parts, he had the two men on the ground in seconds. The two men were moaning and groaning in pain. I watched in horror as he circled the two men.

The crowd got louder and louder as the time to the new year became closer and closer.

“Ten.”

They tried to get up again, but stumbled and fell again.

“Five.”

He pointed the gun towards them.

“Four.”

Clicked the safety off, like he hadn’t done for me.

“Three.”

Put finger on the trigger.

“Two.”

“It was nice working with you two,” he told them.

“One.”

Pulled the trigger.

Where there was supposed to be a ratcheting of a bullet, there was none because the cry of , “Happy New Year!” was screamed by everyone else in the city.

He had chosen the perfect time to shoot the men. No one would have heard the gunshot. Just like no one had noticed him inject the poison into the man’s neck back in time square. Enough time to get the hell out of there without anyone else noticing.

The garage fell dead silent.

A dense doom fell over me as I saw him crouch down by the bodies, as if figuring out what to do with the mess. Well, it looked like this new year wasn’t exactly starting out very happy.

My phone vibrated again, bouncing off the walls as a red flag waving that I was there.

With my shaking hand, I took it out to read the caller I.D. Most likely it was my mother or Jackie. Sure enough, it was Jackie that was calling. Probably wondering where the hell I was. As I answered it, to tell someone that I was probably going to die, the phone was snatched straight out of my hands. Black hoodie had flashed in front of me without me noticing him even walking over my way.

“I thought I told you not to follow me.”

Chapter Two

Gage sighed, turning to face the girl he had instructed to stop following him. All she needed was a good scare and she would be out of his sight. Or maybe she needed a good scare to tell her where she came from and who sent her to spy on him.

“I thought I told you not to follow me,” he told her, making her jump.

She probably thought that she enjoyed this...scaring her. On the surface, he thought that it was a waste of time. There was something else, though, that didn't like it, didn't like the thought of causing her inner turmoil. Too bad Gage didn't know what the problem was yet, because he could have easily avoided it.

“You're either really brave or really stupid,” he told her.

'Or a mixture of both' she added in her head. God, she really sucked at concealing her thoughts. Or did she even know how? Certainly she wasn't putting her scrambled, jumbled thoughts out there on purpose.

“Come on, who really sent you?” He pressed, getting tired of the games.

“No one sent me,” she claimed. “I belong to no one.”

He searched her mind, finding no blocks whatsoever. She couldn't hide anything this well with her mind open, right? God, this was annoying. There had to be some trick. He was going to find out what it was.

***

The thing that got me was; why didn’t he just kill me on the spot like he killed those two men just seconds ago?

I stared at him, daring to face the one that might be killing me very soon (even though he had already had the chance to kill me before). Like I said, you should listen to the guy with the gun.

“You’re either really brave or really stupid,” he told me.

Or a mixture of both, I added in my head.

“Come on, who really sent you?” He demanded.

I shook my head. “No one sent me. I belong to no one.”

“Oh a loner, huh?,” he acknowledged. “You must really be an amateur, considering your skills in being incognito…or lack thereof.”

My mind was already reeling from watching two more murders from this guy. But the confusion became bewilderment as he was talking. The more he talked, the more confused I became. You would think there would be more answers the more someone talks, but there was no answers, just more questions pouring into my mind.

There was just one question that I was dying to know the answer to. “Why didn’t you kill me back there?” Was I challenging him to? God, where was my common sense tonight?

He smirked. “Didn’t want to waste a bullet.”

I narrowed my eyes. There was another reason why. He didn’t want to kill me. He would if he really had to. What really mattered was that he didn’t actually want to. Maybe there was hope for me after all. I needed to know why, though. For some damn reason, I needed to know why the hell this guy wouldn't kill me willingly.

“Oh, I’m sure that’s it,” I retorted.

“You know, it would be really smart for you to shut up right now,” he snapped at me. “Like a good little girl.”

“I’ve never been a good little girl,” I snapped back.

His lips tightened into a line, trying to figure out what the hell he was going to do with me. My phone was vibrating in his hand again. He looked at it and threw it against the concrete wall, making it smash into bits and pieces. An annoyance hit me, something that was completely unrelated to the fear of him, but fear of my mom. If I ever got back home, then I would be dead once my mom found out I had broken my newly fixed phone. Five times; that’s how many times I’d had my i Phone sent in the last six months. He might as well just kill me now.

He took a step towards me, making me back up against the wall. Looking torn between right and wrong, he just stood there. We stared at each other for the longest time, observing to see when the other would speak up.

That person was me, unable to stand the silence anymore. “If you’re going to kill me, just get it over with already,” I told him. “This is getting ridiculous.”

Instead of putting his gun to my throat, his hand wrapped around it, cutting off most of my airway. Just enough air was getting to my lungs that I could breathe, but not enough to stay fully conscious. No matter how much I pushed and pulled at his hands, there was no getting them off of me. This guy had a grip of steel.

“I’m not going to kill you,” he assured me, but then he had to add, “I’m going to find out what the hell you want with me.”

“I want…to know…why…you killed…that man,” I managed to choke out through my almost completely blocked out airway.

His grip released a little, partially from confusion. I wasn’t a threat to him, I wasn’t sent after him, I was just a normal girl that had seen something wrong and wanted to get it right. He’d assumed that I was another hit-man like him.

“Oh, god,” he took away one of his hands.

“What?” I choked out again, I just couldn’t resist asking.

“No human was supposed to see me,” he told me. His eyebrows narrowed in confusion. “You must be at least part clairvoyant.”

Clairvoyant? Wasn’t that some psychic power? Like those fortune tellers that tried to con you out of your money at the carnival or the fair?

“W-what is that?” I stuttered, my head hurting from confusion…or maybe it was from the lack of oxygen in my blood. Either way, my thoughts were becoming jumbled and being thrown in the blender at max speed.

***

He had been sure that this was some new trick that one of the rebels had come up with to trick him. But it wasn't, she was just an innocent girl that was sadly oblivious to the fact that she was a clairvoyant. Even if she was after him, he didn't think that he could kill her anyways.

He should be able to easily kill her on the spot right now, just to get rid of the problem at hand. But he wasn't able to, in fact, he didn't ever wanted to be able to. Instead, he was attempting to make her clairvoyance show itself. When a clairvoyant 's life was in danger, their clairvoyance almost always surfaced. Kind of the way instinct took over or human when they were in a life threatening situation. Of course, she couldn't know that he was trying to expose it. Otherwise, the whole purpose would be defeated.

His fingers burned and boiled when he wrapped his fingers around her throat, almost making him take them as you would if you touched a hot stove. Something didn't like him hurting her. Just like something inside of him didn't approve the thought of him challenging her emotionally. But he needed to prove that she was clairvoyant. Now he was almost sure that

Maybe he should just stop now before she found anything out. Her life would be a lot easier without knowing about the clairvoyant world. In fact, it would probably be better overall if she didn't know what she was. On the other hand; she had a right to know who she was, didn't she? Don't we all want to belong to be a part something bigger when we're a teenager? Well, in that case, he would be doing her a big favor.

Footsteps echoed through the silence, slowly making their way towards them.
“What are you doing, Gage?” A voice familiar to Gage called from the shadows, stopping him in his tracks. “I heard more shots so I came to-
Well...there was no going back now.

***

Black hoodie, who appeared to be Gage, and I turned to look to where the voice was coming from. As he stepped into the dim light, Gage slowly stepped away from me and let go of my throat completely. Gasping for air, I didn’t bother to look at the one that had probably saved me.

Again.

He was the one that had saved me from falling before.

The guy halted when he saw me. For a split second, there was a look of ‘damn, this is a small world’. His face went back to business as soon as I blinked once. Jeez, blink once in this 'clairvoyant' world and you would miss everything.

“I told you to stop bringing humans into this,” he chastised Gage. “I know you’re new to cloaking, but you should have been more careful.”

Gage looked back at me and shrugged. “I was cloaked, no one saw me but her,” he seemed to be defending himself. “She’s not completely human.”

I gaped at the both of them. ‘Not completely human?’ What the hell were they talking about? Even after all the things that had happened in the last twenty minutes, this was the most shocking by far; were they really this crazy?

“That’s crazy,” the other defied. “We would know.”

“Not if she hasn’t been raised as a clairvoyant and her abilities have been blocked her entire life,” Gage reasoned. “I've seen it before.”

Apparently they were this crazy. I sighed.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped towards the two partners in crime. Regardless of everything that I had been through tonight, all the warnings, I was still starving for answers. Death didn't even cross my mind as I walked towards them, a little wonky in my steps. The two stared at me as I attempted to walk all the way towards them. My knees starting buckling, but the guy caught me for the second time that night, moving at above normal human speed to do so.

“Whoa, careful there,” he told me. “We wouldn’t want you to crack your head open.”

Gage said nothing, not agreeing with him. Not disagreeing, though.

“Well, I wouldn’t anyways,” he assured me, giving Gage a reproachful glance when he didn't say anything.

“Why?” I asked. “Why do you care?”

He smiled at me, just like he had the first time he had saved me from falling. “Because I don’t want to kill the innocent.”

I regained my footing. God, I probably looked pathetic to these guys, these...what should I call them? Even if I was dizzy beyond reason while standing on my own, I didn't want to seem weak in front of them. He hovered close, anyways, just to make sure.

“Let's go,” Gage suggested cocking his head towards a car.

I was ushered towards the car, not putting up a fight this time. He opened the door and half pushed me in, slamming the door shut after I slid in.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Somewhere safe,” he answered, just as Gage jumped into the car along with us.

***

The car moved swiftly through the streets, people jumping out of the way of the car so they wouldn’t get hit. There were so many people that were wandering the streets, going back to their homes from Times Square, that it was almost like a dodging game for him. Gage and the other guy whose name I had yet to learn were acting as if this type of driving were a completely normal, everyday thing.

“You’re almost running over people,” I shouted, hanging onto the handle as tightly as I could. “Watch out!”

A little girl holding a teddy bear in her arms had the 'deer in the headlights' look. Luckily for her (and for my sanity), she was redeemed by a man, most likely her father, grabbing her and pulling her out the way. My heart beat returned to me after vanishing for a moment.

“Can’t you at least slow down a little bit?” I requested.

To my relief, the car did slow down. Not nearly as much as I would have wanted it to, but still, it was enough to make me feel better. Compromise Bronte, I told myself, compromise.

The streets finally filed out enough to the point that the only people walking were on sidewalks instead of the streets. I loosened my grip on the handle, and let out a sigh of relief that I had been holding onto since we floored it out of that parking garage.

We traveled quickly through the streets, not stopping for any stoplights or signs. In fact, I’m almost sure we went down the wrong way on a one way street. Luckily, there were no cars there.

I imagined Jackie. She should be hyperventilating by now, not knowing where I was on a night like this. She was very melodramatic about things like that, about everything, actually. I could only imagine the reaction that she’d had when I didn’t answer mt phone. How had it turned on after I turned it off in the first place? I was almost sure that I had turned it off. My other friends would be worried, but not entirely terrified like Jackie. Though she knew better than anyone else that I could take care of myself, she just could never do anything but assume the worst when I wasn’t answering her phone calls or texts.

“Won’t your license be caught on camera?” I asked them.

“This isn’t our car,” Gage told me, as if it should already be obvious to me. “They’re always fake, and the windows are tinted.”

These guys were equipped, weren’t they?

We passed my mom’s workplace at Macy’s. I grimaced when I thought about the lecture that I would get when I got home. No doubt Jackie would be knocking down our door to see if I was home. Jackie’s hysteria usually got passed on to adults, almost like a disease. How exactly was I supposed to explain that I had lost my phone, and hadn’t stayed with my friends like I had promised her? One of these guys might as well kill me now, because my mom was going to make my life more painful than death after I arrived home.

The car screeched to a halt and the two leaped out of the car. The nameless one opened the door and pulled me out. He tried to pick me up and carry me but I refused, stepping onto the sidewalk on my own feet.

We were parked in front of a derelict apartment building. No one would ever look for us here. That was both a comfort and a concern for me. I hesitated before stepping inside of the ominous building. Looking around, I searched for a way to run away from these two. My vision was still blurry, my legs still shaky and my head a bit fuzzy from being choked, so I probably wouldn’t get far before they caught me again. Even if I was at my best, I wasn't confident that I would escape anyways.

As if they knew what I was thinking, they pulled me into the building before I could do anything rash. Gage shut the door directly behind us, sealing me in with these two.

“Can you please just give me some answers?” I asked. “You guys at least owe me an explanation.”

The two looked at each other and gestured towards the long, narrow hallways. Hopefully closer to some answers, I followed the two of them down the hallway. I was either getting some answers, or getting myself even deeper into trouble.

The room they led me to wasn’t dark like I had anticipated, but lit up and clean. The kitchen? This apartment building must have actually been a hotel, because the kitchen was huge, as big as my whole apartment put together with a gigantic fridge and any kind of cooking tool imaginable.

“You should probably sit down for this,” Unnamed suggested. “I’ll get you something to drink.”

“What do you have?” I croaked, suddenly feeling very thirsty.

“Water, juice-

“Anything…stronger?” I asked. “Like some straight vodka?”

“Of course we do,” Gage took out a huge bottle of Vodka from a cabinet filled with lots of other substances.

“But that’s not a good idea, considering what she’s just been through,” the other snatched the bottle out of his hands, placing it back in it's original place. “That will just make it worse.”

“She’s going to need it if we end up telling her,” Gage muttered.

I sighed, I really needed that Vodka. Looked like I wasn’t going to get it though.

“How about some water?” He suggested.

I reluctantly nodded, sitting down at a small table for four. Lying my head down, I pressed my cheek against the hard, cold steel table. When the water was placed in front of me, I chugged it down like I had been in a desert all day without a drop of liquids. They both sat down on either side of me, looking at me quizzically.

“What?” I snapped, not caring if their feelings were hurt. They had practically just kidnapped. Not to mention one of them, possibly both, were heartless killers. I slammed the glass down on the table in an attempt to keep my tough stance.

“I’m Jaze, by the way,” the unnamed one told me. After there wasn’t any ‘Nice to meet you’ response from me, he continued. “You wouldn’t happen to want to tell us what your name is, hmm?”

I shook my head. “Why would I do something stupid like that?” I asked. “You’re not exactly telling me anything, so why should I tell you?”

Gage sighed, “what do you want to know?”

“What did you mean by ‘not entirely human’?” I demanded. “You owe me at least that much information.”

The two looked at each other, as If telepathically debating who was going to tell me, or if they were going to even tell me at all. Jaze shook his head, telling Gage that there was no way in hell he was going to be the one to explain everything to me. The loser of the silent argument, Gage, sighed in defeat and cleared his throat.

“Do you believe in psychics?” He asked, a little hesitant.

I lifted my eyebrows. They were really going to pull that shit on me right now? Just for the fun of it, I played along with it.

“Somewhat,” I admitted, actually telling the truth. For some reason, I did believe in psychics. “What does this have to do with me?”

“Depends on who your parents are,” Gage pulled something out of his pocket; a small tablet, similar to my iPhone that had just been broken, but different in a way. He took my picture without asking.

I stood up suddenly, knocking the chair over that I had been sitting on. “What the hell?” I yelled, feeling violated. Somehow this infuriated me more than anything else tonight (besides the killing).

He rose calmly, like he was trying not to alarm me.

“Just relax, this scans for face recognition of clairvoyants, all the ones that are in our system,” he told me.

“Why do-

“Who are your parents?” He asked me, cutting me off.

I rolled my eyes. “Why would I tell you, just so that you can kill them?”

Gage sat back down in his seat. “She’s does kind of have the right to say that…” Jaze jested at him.

He looked back at his little device that he had just taken a picture of me with. “That’s funny.”

I looked at the device curiously. “What?”

“There was a match, but it’s completely locked,” he explained. “This thing has access to all of our clairvoyants profiles. I don’t know why this one would come up empty.”

“Did you catch a name?” Jaze asked. “Before it locked up?”

“Marcus,” Gage answered. “That’s what her facial profile matched up as a possible child…but she’s not in there.”

I froze up, ice going to through my veins. Marcus was the name of my deceased father. This had to be a coincidence. But, through all the things that he had taught me before he died, it was that there was no such thing as a coincidence, especially something as interrelated as this. There was a connection to that phone being locked and my father; there was no doubt about it in my mind.

“Marcus…as in that Marcus?” Gage asked, a look of ‘oh shit’ washing over his face.

Remaining stoic and incredulous on the outside, my insides filled with Jell-O, making me use all of my strength to stand up on two feet. Death was supposed to be a simple thing, a final thing. I assumed that there would be nothing about my dad’s past life to bother me, the murder being the only thing to haunt me for the remainder of my existence. Now I was beginning to think there was something more than just a simple death.

“Who are you two talking about?” I asked, seeming like my thousandth question tonight. “Who is Marcus?”

Jaze scratched his scalp while Gage opened his mouth, but nothing managed to come out of my mouth for a while. Finally, he spoke.

“Used to be one of the most prominent leaders in the clairvoyant world,” Gage finally answered for me.

I still had to know what a ‘clairvoyant’ was. Maybe their question about psychics earlier was connected to what they were trying to tell me, or trying not to tell me.

“Is he dead now?” I asked.

“Yes, he was murdered about seven years ago,” Jaze explained for Gage, who was looking like he was going to punch a hole in the wall. I had no doubt “He had a daughter in the year of 1996, which makes her about your age. What...what's your dad's name?”

I shrugged. “My dad’s name was John,” I lied, probably not very convincingly. “He checked out of my life when I was in middle school.”

Really, Bronte? ‘John?’ The most common name in America…ever. You could come up with any other name? I mentally slapped myself on the head.

“Oh,” Jaze sounded disappointed, yet relieved at the same time. “I wonder why your profile matched his.”

I shrugged again. “I guess I just have one of those faces.”

He nodded. He knew that I was lying, he could totally tell. But he knew that I had already been through enough for that night, so he wasn’t going to press me. He wasn't sure that I was truly Marcus's daughter, though. I was going to make sure that he didn't find out about my true paternity as long as I possibly could.

“Why’s he acting so weird about it?” I jerked my thumb towards Gage.

It was Gage’s turn to stand up and speak.

Ice ran through my veins when he answered my question himself. He gave a dry, humorless chuckle before he did so.

“I witnessed the murder.”

This book has 1 comment.

on Aug. 2 2012 at 5:16 pm
laughterpalace, Ault, Colorado
looks like i picked the perfect time to randomly check out a 'recently submitted' book. I love it so far! I'm really intrigued to learn more about the story, please keep posting! p.s. i loved the little countdown sequence. nicely written! :)