Top Voted Travel & Culture Articles

Here are the top voted travel & culture articles:

voted
#1
My First Day of School This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Fear started taking over. I was walking into my first school in America. I had traveled a long distance from India in order to join my mother, who had been here for three years, hoping America would help my future. My father decided that I would... (more »)
35 comments
voted
#2
Marblehead Days This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   93, 128, 114, 1A...What do these numbers mean to you? No, they're not a combination to some lock, or a secret-coded message, but they are the order of highways to be traveled to reach my favorite place.As my parents and I... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#3
My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Every time I look at my parents or even think of them, pride overwhelms me. My life and world is all thanks to them. I especially admire their determination during our struggle coming to America.Our native country was Vietnam,... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#4
Chinese New Year This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   So,how much money am I getting this year?" That's the question I hit my momwith every February. And every year she replies, "You will see," in herChinese accent.February usually marks the month of the New Year... (more »)
voted
#5
The Wedding This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Happiness is one word that can explain a lot: happiness in emotion or feeling, happiness in celebration. There are many words that tie in to “happiness.” Last week my family and I went to Los Angeles for my cousin Amy’s wedding... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#6
My Switzerland Experience This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   What do you think of when someone mentions goodchocolate, watches, the Alps, cows and cheese? You might think of Switzerland,but these things don't give the whole picture because they say nothing about theSwiss people. Last... (more »)
voted
#7
My Quinceanera This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   I am Mexican, and we have unique customs. One, for young girls, is calledquinceanera, or sweet fifteen. During the Aztec period women were treatedas second-class citizens, unimportant except for bearing children. When theSpanish... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
Introduction to Islam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Islam and Muslims* The word "Islam" isArabic and means "submission to the will of God." Islam teaches thatone must submit to God - Allah, in Arabic - in order to achieve true peace ofmind. Allah is God, the... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#9
My Town This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Every morning, I wake up at 7 a.m. to get ready forschool. Our elementary and high schools are in the same building; we have 72 kidsin grades one through twelve.You can begin to see that Willow City, NorthDakota is a small town.... (more »)
voted
#10
Ramadan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Ramadan is a Muslim holiday, but it is not a holiday in the general sense of the word. In fact, it’s not even a day, it’s an entire month. Considered the holiest month of the year, Muslims believe this is... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#11
Road Trip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Every summer, for as far back as I can remember, my family has taken a long journey to North Dakota to visit relatives. Did we ever fly? No, that would be too easy! Instead we took our old van - and when I say old, I... (more »)
voted
#12
New Year's Eve This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   "Meetme at the square at five," my friend Elvi yelled as he turned the cornerwith a quick step. He was walking bent forward, shrinking into his heavy coatsince the thick snow and the freezing wind wouldn't let him... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#13
If I Had Been Born A Boy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Whenhe's home I can't bear to see him. His gray hair, washingmachine-eaten-dryer-shrunken clothes, his huge gold-rimmed glasses, and wrinklyeyebrows are all condescending and annoying to even glance at. The first wordsfrom his... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#14
My Trip Home This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Somepeople live their lives without a chance to see the country their parents andgrandparents came from. Two years ago, my whole family went to Vietnam, thecountry of my ancestors. The tingly feeling of excitement and amazement... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#15
Escape to Freedom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
   I walked in the door, and my father asked me to sitbeside him. "Dad, what's wrong?" I asked, but he didn'tanswer. We sat silently for a while; I knew something wasn't right. Then hespoke, and told me a story I could... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#16
Jamaica Me Crazy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Have you ever wondered what the perfect place to visitwould be if you had the chance? Well, let me tell you: a paradise of wonderawaits on the small island of Jamaica. Although it's not as small as it seems(which is a good... (more »)
1 comment