Top Voted Travel & Culture Articles

Here are the top voted travel & culture articles:

voted
#1
Not Soon Forgotten This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
The events of September 11 made many look at freedom differently, since these attacks indirectly assaulted our freedom. But what about World War II? It was only 60 years ago. Wasn't our freedom assaulted then? Many hundreds of thousands of... (more »)
voted
#2
Just One Photo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As I walked into the children's section of the Holocaust History Museum, I stopped dead in my tracks. I wasn't sure what I had been expecting … but certainly not this. It was dark with little flickering lights everywhere. Millions of... (more »)
voted
#3
The Night of Broken Glass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In the autumn of 1938, German soldiers under the Nazi regime unleashed hell upon Jewish citizens. At first, soldiers dressed in the browns and blacks of horror destroyed Jewish businesses. But as the white sun rose to its zenith, indifferent to... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#4
Landing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
We always dreamed of flying – Being high above all that is human and tangible Being in a perilous balance between reality and what lies beyond – We’d watch the birds flutter and sway above our heads And land, our breath tight in our... (more »)
voted
#5
Christmas In India This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
What is Christmas like in ­India? Many think India is an all-Hindu country, but it’s not. The country has 32,000 Christians – about two percent of its population. I remember Christmases when I lived there. We spent Christmas Eve preparing... (more »)
36 comments
voted
#6
Elbow Room This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I simply refuse to settle for the middle seat; I must claim the aisle or a window. Choosing Seat B is like choosing a gruesome death. The horrors of jostling for elbow room can ­ruin otherwise pleasant flights. I often proceed down the narrow... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#7
Off to Paris This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Driving to the airport in early morning, I felt excited. Although I was heading abroad for my first time alone, I felt upbeat and alive. I was spending the summer in Paris. While looking for more interesting things to do besides sleeping and... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
Boot Camp Adventures This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
There is a flash. A tremendous boom. The strike could have hit the ground ten feet away. Around me, seven frantic girls search through soaked, scattered gear under and around a parachute shelter. The rain is pouring down; my change of clothes is... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#9
Days of the Dead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Just having passed Halloween, I wondered about its meaning in different cultures. El Día de los Muertos, a holiday celebrated in Spanish-speaking countries, is full of meaning. It is a three-day ­celebration to honor the dead. Did Halloween ever... (more »)
voted
#10
Miso Queasy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I began to gag as something slid down my throat; it was long (I had assumed it was a noodle) and had nodules on it, like the tentacle of a squid or octopus, which I had come to expect in Japanese dishes. I covered my mouth and coughed a couple of... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#11
Vessel of Song This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Each autumn, Jews around the world observe Simchat Torah, the celebration of Holy Scripture. It’s a time of spiritual renewal, a chance to reaffirm one’s faith in God and His commandments. But to this Jewish teen, the holiday has a special... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#12
My New World View This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Do you ever think about the world around you? Can you point to Zimbabwe on a map? Do you know the state of the economy in India? Do you know how the Dominican Republic is governed? This past summer I realized that many people are oblivious to what... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#13
New Summits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The sweetest air I have ever tasted was fresh, clean, and low in oxygen; it was at the top of a 12,441-foot mountain. How did I get there? By grasping the hands of my new best friends. At the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico a team of six... (more »)
voted
#14
A South African Song This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
An array of color cast by the flurry of 24 skirts strolled down the street in the chilly morning. My footsteps were deliberate and purposeful. In anticipation of our visit, we had prepared a short clap dance routine and clumsily rehearsed our... (more »)
voted
#15
I Won't Be Home for Christmas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Throughout my life, my family has treated Christmas as a wonderful and important holiday. We did all the normal things and had some amazing traditions. It was family time, and I took it for granted that I'd always have a family Christmas.... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#16
From Russia With Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I was born in Omsk, Russia, and moved to America when I was eight. I have had to deal with a lot of cultural differences between the countries. One of the most challenging obstacles to overcome was language. English is a mandatory course in... (more »)
2 comments