Journey to the Top | Teen Ink

Journey to the Top

April 1, 2009
By Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
Angel44 SILVER, Mesa, Arizona
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

The day is dreary and depressing. Rain has fallen periodically since
the rising of the sun. For the moment, it has ceased and I smile with
serenity as I see my obstacle. There it is, residing in the distance, towering
above the entire city. So far away, yet so close, stands the Eiffel Tower.

For 6 long months I have dreamed about the task at hand. My
dreaming is over, this is reality. As my fellow delegates all rise out of their
seats to descend the steps of the bus, I also stand and follow. Upon stepping
off the bus, I am awestruck. I think about how this magnificent work of art
was almost torn down. However, this is not the time to recall such things.
This is the time to journey to the top.

While I stand in this crowded elevator with twenty-five to thirty others, I begin to think again. Never in my whole eleven years of life have I ever thought I would travel to the up-most region of the Eiffel Tower. I am literally shaking with excitement. Suddenly, the elevator comes to an abrupt halt. Stepping out, the cool breeze hits my face. Shivering, I zip up my jacket. I can see far into the distance. Pictures capture the moment and I continue on my journey. Numerous flights of stairs as well as several different elevators finally bring me to the very tip-top.

With each stop, the weather has gotten worse and as I take the final
step to the top, I am shivering uncontrollably. Day light shines, yet rain
is falling lightly down upon me. Though, none of this matters to me; I am
standing at the highest point of the Eiffel Tower. The moment has captivated me. I can see many miles into the distance. The bustling city is completely visible from up here. Scattered among the streets are apartment buildings, restaurants, cathedrals, and many other buildings which I cannot identify. Just to my left lies a soccer field and dots resembling ants, which I know are people. If you have ever watched any movies that feature the Eiffel Tower, you have most likely seen the vast grass area that is situated right in front of this Tower. As I stare down at the ground, this is what I see, pure green. There are no words to express just how I feel at this moment.

The day has been dreary and depressing; however, the weather has
been shadowed. I have made my ascent to the top of the Eiffel Tower in
Paris, France. Asking anymore of this experience is out of the question. This journey has been everything I expected it to be and more. You can say the trip was marvelous, amazing, fantastic, beautiful, breath-taking, or sensational. But it is more than that. It is now a memory that I will hold in my heart forever.


The author's comments:
I took this trip in 2006 as a 5th grader. It was a memorable experience that I will never forget.