I Want to Go Back | Teen Ink

I Want to Go Back

March 26, 2009
By Molly Ferguson BRONZE, Statesboro, Georgia
Molly Ferguson BRONZE, Statesboro, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

\

I want to go back to the place where I feel that I belong in this world, where the sun and sand are always warm and the rum drinks never run dry.

I want to reside in the Virgin Islands beginning tomorrow, and stay until the end of my forever. I want to be there to see the rising and setting of the sun light up the sky every evening and morning with shades of pink, orange and coral. Sitting on the bow of a forty foot catamaran sailboat while the sparkling turquoise water is almost completely still, is where I need to be.

I belong in a hammock on the edge of the water at Ivan’s Stress-free Bar, on the island of Jost Van Dyke. This bar is so completely stress-free that when you arrive, you literally become your own bartender. There is so much love and trust in this place that the owner, Ivan, allows each customer to come in, write down what drink he wants, prepare it himself, and then pay before he gets ready to leave. It is the most amazing, laid-back atmosphere one could ever ask for.

My main task everyday is to sail to the next island on the very flexible itinerary, sailing all day with the sting of summer on my skin. I will dance every night away to the ringing of steel drums and acoustic guitars.

I need the island locals to be my friends and boat crew, sailing a forty foot catamaran alone is near impossible. For entertainment during these longs sails, I will enjoy hearing the locals’ tell me their stories of dolphins and a “Jolly Mon” that once saved there people. I will want them to accompany me on the sailboat each day. These people will be there to help raise and take down the sails and for simply sharing laughs. These jovial locals have the ability to make you more relaxed the second that you meet them. These locals do not have a care in the world, because they discovered long ago the truly important things in life.

I want to go back there climbing the rocks on the island of Virgin Gorda, where from this high point I can see the other British Virgin Islands. I want to hike around and explore this whole island, and enjoy God’s amazing creations.

This will be a life of complete relaxation and help me truly be myself. I want to go back to the islands, and live this life forever. Everyday I come up with new and better plan than the day before of how I will make this dream my reality. I want to go back as soon as I possibly can.