How Lansing, MI Became the Capitol | Teen Ink

How Lansing, MI Became the Capitol

By DevonDNextech BRONZE, Lansing, Michigan
DevonDNextech BRONZE, Lansing, Michigan

In 1844, residents of a nearby settlement built a dam and mill in what would soon be Northern Lansing, MI. James Seymour, the resident's employer, was a land speculator from New York. Seeing an opportunity, Seymour proposed to the Michigan legislature, which was deadlocked over the site of the soon to be capital of Michigan, accept his proposal in the soon to be developed wilderness. The legislature also agreed to build the capitol building near Seymor's settlement between the years 1873 and 1878. The capitol stands on a 10 acre park, surrounded on three sides by thr grand river, which is ironic, seeing as Michigan is surrounded on three sides by the great lakes.

In the year 1847, the capitol of the state of Michigan changed from Detroit to a city called Lansing. The reason for the state changing thier capitol was to develop the western portion of Michigan and for easier defense against British troops stationed in Windsor, Ontario. Lansing got its name from Lansing, New York because it was home to one of the original settlers. In 1855, Michigan State University was founded as an agricultural college in Lansing, MI. By 1859, Lansing had a population of about 3,000 people in a 7.5 square mile radius.

Just a small paragraph about how lansing became the capitol of Michigan.