My Summer Adventure: ACLU Summer Advocacy Institute 2017

I had the privilege of attending the ACLU Summer Institute, held in our Nation’s capital this summer. The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), is dedicated to fighting for the U.S. Constitution and making sure America abides by the rules our founding fathers established. On July 28th over 500 kids from across the country traveled to stay in either D.C. or Virginia to explore the struggles we have in America on the protecting our basic human rights and to appreciate that no human is illegal. I feel I was lucky enough to stay in the historic Georgetown dormitories and to get the full experience of what living on a college campus and in D.C. would be like.

The most eye-opening experience I had during the week was hearing speaker Jeff Robinson talking about the racial injustice in America and how racists are formed within the first three years of life. My favorite quote of his is “If you’re going to talk about race, get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable.” This quote represents so much in just one sentence because people avoid the subject of race entirely because it makes them feel uncomfortable, but if we are going to make any change we need to start talking and so we need to get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. Mr. Robinson also opened my eyes on our “heroes” of modern society. The fact that schools across America didn’t consider Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. a hero when he was alive, the fact that nobody made an effort to praise Muhammad Ali for his devotion for racial equality, and the fact that Abraham Lincoln only freed the slaves in an effort to win the war and to save the union.

The most inspirational speaker throughout the week was the notorious whistleblower Edward Snowden, who facetimed with all of us from his new home in Moscow, Russia. We got to ask him questions about his political views, his decision making, and how his life is now. Mr. Snowden kept on preaching the importance of privacy and that the government doesn’t have the right to have access to your personal information unless they have a valid and just reason. I consider Edward Snowden a patriot in the highest regard because he fought for the basic human rights upon which our great country was founded. 

While I got to learn about the struggles in America, I also got to be a tourist throughout D.C. and visit museums and monuments throughout our capital. The museums I visited included the NAAHCM (National African American History & Culture Museum), the National American History Museum, and the NEWSeum. My favorite monument in D.C. was the Washington Monument because at one point in human history, that building was the tallest in the world and represented the height of our accomplishment to establish a free republic. Other monuments and landmarks I went to were the capital building, the Martin Luther King memorial, the US Capitol Rotunda, and the Library of Congress.

In conclusion, I learned a lot about my country and how we operate and the good and bad things we do. I met friends I still communicate with and hope to remain friends with as long as possible. The ACLU summer advocacy institute was a great experience.  I will be applying again next year and encourage all rising juniors and seniors to do the same.

Jk123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:28 pm
Wow. Such a cool and important experience. Thanks for sharing. This was also well written and the message very relevant. Racism is something that plagued the human race for centuries. I've just recently interviewed a Holocaust survivor for a specific project, listening to what hatred and discrimination could lead to. It's important that we learn from past mistakes, learn how to be more accepting of one another. And this is exactly what this piece is doing. Amazing work.

Justus_C said...
yesterday at 1:50 am
I changed my username, the link to my profile from this article doesn't work anymore.