Trip to Florida | Teen Ink

Trip to Florida

Florida is a location that many people love and should be visited when the opportunity occurs. Humid weather and intense sunlight brings me happiness from the moment I arrive. The different activities, people, and surroundings are so uniquely different to what is accustomed in Auburn. Up until about four years ago I had never been to Florida, until my dad decided to relocate there permanently, which is when I was able to go and visit him and enjoy all that the Sunshine State has to offer. A trip to Florida allows me to visit loved ones, and experience new things.

A loud chime fills the aircraft, the pilot has warned all of the passengers to fasten their seatbelts because the landing process is about to begin. The 2hr and 30min flight is now so close to being over, however the agonizing pain in my legs from being cramped by the window seat is getting to be unbearable. A loud thud can be heard through the soothing music coming from my headphones, I know that we have just landed in Orlando. As I step off the plane, the humidity of Florida is already in the atmosphere. Flying alone is pleasant to me because I don’t need to be concerned about anyone else that I’m flying with. As I exit my gate I am immediately greeted by a sincere and affectionate hug by my dad. I sometimes go months without seeing him, but after all that time, seeing his bright smile after he sees me exit off the plane makes it better. The car ride to his house takes about an hour, the soothing sound of his voice and his contagious laugh fills the car and instantly brings me joy. I only get to spend around a week with him at a time, nevertheless we make every moment memorable when I visit.
The sound of dogs barking and the aroma that comes from freshly ground coffee beans wakes me up in the morning. My dad, stepmom, and I sit outside on the patio and have coffee together. We overlook the crystal clear pool and savor the cool morning breeze before the humid air takes over. Hot steam fogs up the mirror, and the sound of a blow dryer can be heard faintly from my bathroom. After we are ready we load into the car, the air conditioning blows lukewarm air for a split second, but soon becomes cool and refreshing from the heat that is consuming the outside air. Our drive to the Orlando Premium Outlets is enjoyable, very rarely do we all listen to music and instead have extensive conversations about various topics. Throughout the car ride my dad will make amusing comments about the horrendous stench that is coming from my stepmoms lit cigarette. When we arrive at the Outlets, finding a spot to park is strenuous, an additional 20 minutes is added just to be able to finally park. When walking through the mall it is shoulder to shoulder with the people that are around you, everyone is dashing in and out of stores to be able to find what they are looking for. The store front of the Disney Store could grab anyone's attention with the life size figures of Mickey and Minnie, while having lighting that allows you to see what the store contains. I entered the Disney Store and the bright colors and marvelous decorations are captivating to any age. The items in the store brings back childhood memories of when I was a child, while also having nostalgia from when my dad was little.

After the exhausting day of walking through the Outlet mall, we decided to finally go get something to eat. We walk into Cheddars and the rustic ambiance of exposed stone and mahogany flooring is pleasing to the eye. We are sat at a booth where you can see a built in fish tank that divides the bar from the dining area. The taste of a water with freshly squeezed lemon in it is refreshing after the tiring day that I had just had. I order a buffalo chicken wrap, the chicken is tender and is covered in a perfect amount of buffalo sauce so it isn’t overwhelming. The french fries that occupy the rest of the plate are crispy and well seasoned. When we get back to the house, I quickly rush out to the backyard to go for a swim in the pool, which is exhilarating. Watching the sunset cascade over the houses down the street, while pink, orange, and yellow are slowly fading throughout the sky.

Leaving Florida and having to say goodbye to my dad never gets easier. Losing sight of him as I walk down to enter my plane is one of the hardest parts about going to Florida. Although I get to talk to him daily on the phone, nothing comes close to being able to talk and joke with him when I go to visit. Every trip I take to Florida teaches me to appreciate everyone in my life and every moment I get to share with them, because the bond that my dad and I share can never be broken.