The Center of the Universe | Teen Ink

The Center of the Universe

May 20, 2017
By grace_condon BRONZE, Hudson, New Hampshire
grace_condon BRONZE, Hudson, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

this past weekend,

i went to the city.

i went to the city and it stole my heart,

right after it made my soul dance.

it left me with a light in my eyes and new desires.

it left me inspired.

it was the energy boost I needed,

for my mind was restless and I had grown tired.

 

It is kind of odd I say the city was an energy boost. Actually, going out and walking around everywhere gave me extreme fatigue. I did not sleep much while I was there, either. There was too much to do (And, I mean, also, it is the city that never sleeps).

 

The one uber driver I had, had a great way of explaining the city. He used a radio tower as an analogy for the city. He basically said, it transmits all the energy out into the world. It is the center of all the energy. It is the center of the universe, as some like to call it, and what happens there is signaled out to the rest of the world and has a ripple effect. I thought it was an interesting way to think of it. I can somewhat agree with this analogy. You go there, and when leave, you take this exuberance with you.

 

Being in the city, reminded me I have a purpose. It reminded me that I am not anyone else and I never will be. It reminded me of the beauty of the fact that we are all so similar, yet so different. We all have our own passions and desires and those deserve to be fulfilled. It made me feel full. It reminded me of my progress. In the city, I saw growth. I saw limitless opportunity and possibility. The city is an open mind. There is no fear of judgment, while you are there. It seems the main focus in the city is to dream, to create, to live fully. Coming from a small town, it was a truly enchanting otherworldly place, where I, surprisingly, felt safe. I know I will go back to the city many many times. I have been further inspired to travel, thanks to this experience. I am truly grateful to live on an earth so diverse, an earth holding new adventures around every corner I turn. I have lived in the same town for 17 years. I know what it is to be “settled down”(okay, like not with a husband, but to have a “permanent” home). But, I feel it in my bones; it is time to wander.

 

And, for you, I have one suggestion, maybe even a request. Go to the city. Get inspired. Listen to music. Hear your heart’s desire. Lift the veil between what is false and what is real. Admire the colors, sculptures, and art that paint the city. Fall in love with a stranger. Try something for the first time. If you’re looking for magic, the city is where you’ll find it. It helps you to see you for who you truly are. It makes you brave and daring enough, to search for more, beyond where you are coming from, beyond what you have known.

 

But, perhaps, you do not have to go to New York City. This earth is abundantly decorated with energetic cities and raw peaceful places. Go somewhere new. Go to a place that will give you what you need, whether it be peace and silence or energy and adventure. Trust me, you’ll find what you need. It is as easy as leaving “home”, as easy as leaving comfort.

 

And, also, I went to the Museum of Modern Art and was pretty much mesmerized by everything they had to show. I figured I would share some of what I saw, although the pictures do not do the art justice. Sounds cheesy, but you almost have to experience the art first hand to better understand and love it.

 

 

The city showed me:

the kindness of strangers
the soul’s true desires
individuality
how much energy one place can feed
art, so much art
music without words
what dreams are made of
magic
The city taught me:

how much love this world has
how many people are in need of this love
that it’s okay to be on your own
judgments are silly and nothing to fear
i have a voice and it is there for a reason