The Significance of Holiday Festival | Teen Ink

The Significance of Holiday Festival

January 19, 2017
By lindsaycornell BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
lindsaycornell BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine a world where equality was no longer an issue, and rather something positive and cherished. Imagine a world where age differences didn’t matter, or where bullying was not one of the biggest problems regarding education in a worldwide form. While these may seem unattainable, High School of Franklin Lakes, New Jersey is close to perfecting a program satisfying all of these issues and beyond. To be more specific, students and faculty are focussing on one major aspect, being the holiday season, and thus are creating a breathtaking environment in which every single person is treated the same, regardless of any other factors.

   

Holiday Festival, the formal name for this important day, invites a total of 350 children from Roberto Clemente Elementary School in Paterson, New Jersey to come and meet their assigned high school guide for a day of fun and gift giving. While the younger children have the opportunity to take a day off from their regular school day, high school students also have the privilege of buying multiple gifts for children who may not receive anything at all. While purchasing gifts for an unknown child may seem like a daunting task, in reality, students get the chance to not only help someone in need, but also make the most festive month of the year even brighter. To further aid in making the gift-buying process easier, each child fills out a sheet, listing what they wish they could receive. While some children ask for more than others, the average high school student pays between $50 to $100 worth of toys, ranging from dolls, cars, coloring books, and more. Since the children almost always ask for toys, the school districts record their clothing size, giving the option for students to purchase pajamas or outfits they think may be a good gift.
   

Though Holiday Festival seems to only be known in the school district, this key event has been occurring for more than forty years. Angela Rodriguez, the Festival’s hardworking advisor, explained that, “This event was started as a community outreach by one of our faculty members in the early 1970s. It has grown to a strong tradition of giving in the community. The committee spends four months planning a spectacular event for the Roberto Clemente Elementary School in Paterson.” To prepare for such a big day, committees of hundreds of students and faculty have been created to make the children’s day the best it could be. Between the number of trees carefully dressed and strung with lights, to the play containing different princesses and characters, the school’s once dull character immediately turns into something quite magical. In addition to the presents and shows, the children have the chance to explore the transformed rooms of the school. For example, what once was the library was now a store, open for the kids to pick out any presents they would like to give their family members and friends. In the next room over, what once seemed to be the Senior Commons room was now a room filled with stuffed animals and books for them to take. Along with these transformed rooms, band students are able to carol in the hallways, and food, games, and crafts are available for everyone’s enjoyment.
   

Besides the more tangible parts of the festival, high school students get a feeling of giving and have the chance to realize that there are those who are less privileged that deserve to have the best holiday season possible. From personal experience, seeing a child’s face light up when they receive the toys that they wished for is a gift within itself. When asked what was to be expected from an escort, faculty answered with, “Keep in mind that Holiday Festival is about providing service to those who are less fortunate and it is a great opportunity to share and be aware of the differences in the world around us. Therefore, it is crucial that all escorts be committed to their responsibilities in helping the kids feel welcomed and comfortable during their stay” (Holiday Festival Facts). Unfortunately, the school's location, being the town of Franklin Lakes, as well its surrounding areas of Wyckoff and Oakland, tends to be more prosperous than many realize. With this in mind, it can be said that students are inclined to take what they have for granted. However, this important immersion into a world where there are different priorities and concerns is a crucial informant for not only the students, but the entirety of the school. “You can rest assured that the positive impact our school community has made on the Roberto Clemente School and on our own students will leave a lasting impression,” says faculty, “and that, is what makes this event worth the work and effort” (Holiday Festival).


Thus, by taking advantage of the holiday season as well as its accompanying spirits, both schools, separated not only by location but by age and lifestyles, join together as one to make the best of what they each can give. While the children receive their gifts and the memories that can last a lifetime, the high school teenagers are given the sense of giving back to the community and helping those around them enjoy their life to the fullest. Social standards are broken and no longer apply when the two school mix, and the byproduct that is left is pure appreciation for one another. While learning about diversity in school is interesting, what is deemed more effective is the chance to experience it. Having the chance to become a role model and grasp the concept of acceptance and respect is a life-altering experience, and something that could never be forgotten.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this article was the overwhelming participation and support reflected through high school students towards elementary students. I hope that when it is read, it will inspire others to not only give all that they to make someone's holiday season better, but to treat others with the respect you wish to be given.