Mesoamerica | Teen Ink

Mesoamerica

By shelbsters715 BRONZE, Creve Coeur, Missouri
shelbsters715 BRONZE, Creve Coeur, Missouri

"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough"

Mesoamerica is full of light and life and history. The people are vibrant and that comes across in their music, art, food, and all around excitement for life. As an international studies major, I have made it my priority to notice the differences and similarities between cultures in order to take advantage of the full value of this tour. This is what I have found.

With every culture you observe it is most advantageous to start at the roots. The traditions are what truly drive the cultural evolution we see in affect today. Catholicism is the belief system upon which these great countries were build and it has upheld them since. At the heart of Mexico City, and thus Mexico itself, is the Catholic Basilica. It stands as an international icon and beacon for members of this historic faith. It is common to see faithful believers performing rituals and variations of pilgrimages just outside its walls to show devotion to the saints who came before them. Though religion serves a great role in connecting these countries they all share ancient influences as well.

The ancient civilizations such as the Olmecs, zapotecs, Mayas, and Aztecs have also instilled their fair share of traditions in these cultures. The same resourcefulness is used throughout many of the villages in Southern Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize. The bright colors used to decorate ancient temples can be connected to the use of bright colors on houses and buildings today. These ancient cultures have also left their mark through music and dance. The drums and flute are still matriculated into modern music and dance. The bright colors used in folk dance costumes match the upbeat and quick tempo of the music that has been played for thousands of years. Sound is not the only sense that has been stimulated by these ancient peoples, a diversity of food feeds this culture continually. Hand made corn tortillas, cactus, and other indigenous herbs and spices are what make the mesoamerican cuisine so uniquely enjoyable.

The general attitude of the people of Mesoamerica is incredibly positive and inviting. Much of the time making a purchase or scheduling an event can feel like a business transaction and nothing more in western countries. However I felt that the people here genuinely wanted to have a connection and conversation with you. Things don’t feel as rushed or structured as they do in the United States and because of our skin color it was common to get questions about where we are from and people sincerely wanted to know what brought you to their beautiful country. This was something that I quickly learned to love.

Ultimately I learned that the value gained from the tour was different for everyone. I feel like I have learned how to connect with people in so many different and new ways. That is something that spans a broad horizon beyond a purchase, past cultural differences, beyond the bounds of religion. Realizing that humanity holds so much diversity and when we can step out of our own ethnocentric circles we see cultures for what they truly are, expressions of how to live a beautiful life through the eyes of people in different parts of the world who have known different circumstances. I am personally grateful for the time I have been able to spend abroad, and believe me, it doesn’t end here. I would encourage those who have the time and the means to take opportunities like this. They will change your outlook on life, on other cultures, and most importantly it will allow you to see and serve more of God’s children than you ever thought possible.

This article was written based on the experiences I had while on an academic tour through Mesoamerica.