A Hike to Happiness | Teen Ink

A Hike to Happiness

By Sachin2001 SILVER, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Sachin2001 SILVER, Newtown, Pennsylvania

As I laid on the dusty mattress in the private hotel I couldn’t get rid of a miserable headache. I looked around me not understanding how anybody could deal with such pain. I knew it wasn’t from stress or fatigue because my family and I were on a vacation in Peru 12,500 feet above the ground. I decided to join my parents on a short hike up a hill to try and rid myself of this feeling. I walked through the dirt trail as the cold, wispy wind cut through my hair effortlessly. Every step I took felt like a mile with my sickness, but I still reluctantly followed my guide. As I approached the steep hill, I couldn’t help but think of the anguish I was in for. Instead of keeping on trail with the rest of the group, I decided to climb this summit on my own. I was convinced to beat my parents to the top. For a brief moment, my headache slipped from my mind because I was not thinking about it. I did eventually catch on to this, so to make sure this kept occurring, I raced myself up the mountain. The adrenaline pumped through my veins, up my spine, and to my brain. This drug made me move my legs as quickly as I could up the mountain, and when they were tired, it was too late because they were like machines trudging one leg after the other. I finally made it to the top of the hill, but I was robbed of the feeling of tranquility. As I sat down in a state of torpor, my parents emerged from the horizon. I hollered at them that I was the winner, but they did not care. They were looking all around me for an unknown reason, so I cracked and asked them what they were looking at. They said to look around and when I did, it was beautiful. I saw a storm nearing in the distance. The lightning danced to the ground as the wind swished through the pine trees. The contrast of the lights in the city to the darkness of the clouds amazed me. It was sitting there right in front of me the entire time, yet I was totally oblivious to the fact that nature was the cure to a fatal ache of any sort and possibly the key to happiness. I pronounced that from then on that I would, as fast as I was, slow down. I not only saw, but embraced my surroundings. As the bright orange sun dropped below the mountain, and the thunder waged its last cry, I knew it was another successful days end.

I wrote this piece because I am a very wolrldly person. So, I wanted to share one of my vactions with everybody.