Keep Portland Weird | Teen Ink

Keep Portland Weird

By Madsat930club BRONZE, Mount Airy, Maryland
Madsat930club BRONZE, Mount Airy, Maryland

"They're just pictures made out of words," - Elliott Smith
"You must be somewhere in London, you must be loving your life in the rain," - The National

The Pacific North West of the United States is different from the East Coast. There are taller trees, and it’s about 1000 times less humid. Last summer, I travelled to Oregon. My family and I spent the first day in Portland. That slogan “keep Portland weird” is accurate. There was art everywhere, from animal sculptures to giant fountains and rooftop gardens. All vacations come with little unexpected mishaps, and this one was no different. I bent down to take a picture of a statue, and the leg of my pants ripped. I ended up seeing a different side of Portland when my mom and I had to stop at Macy’s to buy new jeans. After that though, we headed to a farmer’s market in the city. Different fruits and vegetables were in season there, and it was pretty cool to actually be at a farmer’s market in the middle of one of the largest cities in Oregon. From there, we packed into the car and headed a few hours outside of Portland to the house we rented for the trip. Throughout the two weeks I visited my first beach, pet about a thousands dogs (everywhere we go my dad has to stop and pet every dog he sees), and explored historical monuments. This was different from other vacations I’ve taken, English is the main language and there was the same chain of grocery stores we have on the East Coast. They had coffee stands everywhere, where you could walk up or drive through. Seeing the other coast of the United States was interesting, and a trip I’m glad I took. It’s all one country, but definitely different from where I live.