Tarot Cards: What Are They and Why? | Teen Ink

Tarot Cards: What Are They and Why?

By DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina
DragonflyMaster PLATINUM, Kernersville, North Carolina

Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped. ~ African Proverb

The Tarot Deck is an influential deck of cards that can be scandalous and has a played major role in many pagan beliefs. The deck consists of seventy-two cards and can be broken down into the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana. The Major Arcana consisted of twenty-two cards and is used for the character card layout and the personality card layout. (Fiebig 6) The Minor Arcana consists of four suits. The suits are pentacles, swords, cups, and wands. Minor Arcana are used to answer smaller questions and are considered as lesser importance. (Alexander 6). The deck is a mysterious device.

The Tarot Deck’s history is truly shrouded with darkness. Many scholars believe the Minor Arcana was added later on, but the true date or place of origin is a mystery. (Alexander 1) The oldest deck still in existence dates back to the 1840’s. One theory about the Major Arcana would be that in the Great Library of Alexandria in Ancient Egypt was the scroll called the Book of Thoth. (Alexander 1) Another theory is that Gypsies carried the cards over to Europe, but the Church confiscated the cards; claiming they were “the Devil’s Picture Book”. Interest arose again in the Renaissance, but until then the cards went underground. (Alexander 2) The Minor Arcana came about because of a Italian card game called Tarrachi. The images on the cards come from many different ancient beliefs. The numerological associations with the Minor Arcana go back to the Greek Mathematician Pythagoras. (Alexander 2)  Some are clearly Pagan images. However some of the cards seem to relate back to some monotheistic religions such as Christianity. The cards total history will never be known, however much of the information known about the cards helps to develop theories about the origin of the cards
The Tarot Deck is divided into two basic divisions, the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana. The Major Arcana or Trumps consists of twenty- two cards and represents major upcoming life changes. The Major Arcana also represents the mysteries or secrets of the universe. (Alexander 3) These Arcana requires more diligence to understand because they are more complex.  Each card contains a title and is often illustrated with specific symbols or situations. The cards are numbered zero to twenty one or one to twenty two. In all decks the cards one through twenty one are the same but the Fool can be zero or twenty two depending on the deck. (Alexander 3) The Major Arcana is also considered a cycle called “the Fool’s Journey”. The Fool’s Journey starts with the first card, the Fool. The Fool symbolizes innocence and the cycle ends with the last card, the World. The World symbolizes wisdom. “The Fool’s Journey” also can outline a course of initiation into the mysteries of life. (Alexander 4) Many of the more well known cards of the Major Arcana are the Lovers, the Empress, Death, and the Fool.

The Minor Arcana are the rest of the fifty-six cards and consists of four suits. The four suits each correlate to the four elements. The suit of Wands represents Fire. Fire is active and represents imagination, strong will, and self-expression leading these elements to the suit of Wands. This suit is a masculine element or yang element. (Alexander 16) The suit of Swords represents Air. Air represents a serious and dispassionate individual which leads the Swords to be depicted as a teacher or scholar seeking answers. The Swords is a masculine element or yang element. (Alexander 18) The suit of Cups represents Water. Water is receptive and often associated with the emotions, creativity, and intuition. Water is feminine element or yin element. (Alexander 18) The suit of Pentacles represents Earth. Earth is often associated with stability, liveliness, and security. Pentacles are also a feminine element or yin element. In each suit are four cards called Court cards. The Court cards are often the King, Queen, Knight, and Page. However some decks may use the Lord instead of the King, the Lady instead of the Queen, and the Knave instead of the Page. Each Court card can represent a person in someone’s life.  Also within the Minor Arcana are the numbered cards of ace through ten, often called pip cards.

The Major Arcana are related to the zodiac. Each zodiac sign relates to one or more cards from the Major Arcana. The zodiac of Aries relates to the IV card, the Emperor. The zodiac of Taurus relates to the V card, the Hierophant or the High Priest. The zodiac of Gemini relates to the VI card, the Lovers. The zodiac of Cancer relates to the VII card, the Chariot. The zodiac of Leo relates to the XI card, Lust. The zodiac of Virgo relates to the IX, the Hermit. The zodiac of Libra relates to the VIII card, Justice. The zodiac Scorpio relates to the XIII card, Death. The zodiac of Sagittarius relates to XIV, Art or Temperance depending on the deck. The zodiac of Capricorn relates to the XV card, the Devil. The zodiac of Aquarius relates to the XVII card, the Star. The zodiac of Pisces relates to the XVIII card, the Moon.

Throughout the cards, there is much symbolism. Each of the pictures on the cards uses the many symbols. The symbols help to show what the card represents and why the card means that. There are many symbols from shapes to objects in the natural world. The circle often represents unity, the triangle represents trinity, and the square represents equality. The snake represents transformation, ocean or water represents emotions, and the mountains represent a challenge. A lantern represents guidance, a book may represent knowledge, and a bridge represents a connection. (Alexander 31) Each card’s symbolism helps to explain the meaning of the card and portray how important the meaning is.

While reading the cards, there are many different spreads. They vary by usage and by religion. One tradition that remains the same is the blessing ceremonies used for a new deck. Some people believe the deck should be blessed every time the deck is used. Some of most common one card spreads express the theme for the day, week, month, or year. The card of the day is pulled at random or chosen in the morning or evening. The card of the week is pulled at morning of the first or last day of the week. The card of the month is pulled at the beginning of the month or end of the month. The card of the year is pulled on the beginning of the year or an important anniversary such as a birthday. (Fiebig 5) One of the most common layouts with multiple cards is the Celtic Cross Spread. This spread is one of the few spreads that brings in whomever the reading is done for into the reading. It is shaped like a sideways Celtic cross. (Alexander 168) Another common spread is the Feng Shui Spread. This spread connects the person’s home life to his/her life.  This spread is shaped like an octagon with a modifier card in the middle. (Alexander 169) Many of the spreads differ because of the type of deck.

Overall the Tarot Deck is a universal theory for divination. It is a belief that helps to “reveal” someone’s destiny or fate. It may be scandalous but remains a strong aspect of the remaining Pagan religions such as Wicca. The cards may have been scandalous to the Catholic Church or date back to Ancient Egypt. The seventy eight cards consist of two different divisions called the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana. The two Arcanas are different, but are both just as important as the other.  The deck is truly an artifact shrouded in mystery.

I had to write a research paper for school and since I was becoming interested in Wicca, I decided to do the Tarot deck. I found myself intrigued and fell in love with this fascinating religion and culture.