Lending a Helping Hand | Teen Ink

Lending a Helping Hand

By Briona_ SILVER, Norton Shores, Michigan
Briona_ SILVER, Norton Shores, Michigan

"Giving up does not mean you're weak, It just means you're strong enough to let go"- Unknown

“Nearly 400,000 people that have feelings of depression attempt suicide every year in the United States” (“Health”). “Nearly 800,000 people succeed at committing suicide every year” (“World Health Organization”). What is depression? What causes depression? How can one help someone battling depression? On Thursday, November 19, 2015 from 6:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m, the Mona Shores High School held a free event called “Hope Bridge Free Movie Premiere Event” in the high school’s auditorium. During this event, a movie was shown; following the movie there was a small presentation about depression.

This event was slough and heartbreaking, but it also gave hope. It was slough and heartbreaking to watch someone go through so much pain and hear about other people’s stories; it gave hope because it gave knowledge about how to overcome depression and how to help others overcome depression. Well, what is depression? Depression is defined as “a mood disorder marked especially by sadness, inactivity, difficulty with thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feelings of dejection and hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal thoughts or an attempt to commit suicide” (“Depression”). Depression impacts not only the mental state of a human, but the physical state of a human as well. Most people do not know that the symptoms of depression are different in males compared to females. When males are depressed they tend to “blame others, feel angry, irritable, or ego inflated, and they feel suspicious or guarded” (“Help Guide”). When females are depressed they tend to “blame themselves, feel sad, empathetic, or worthless, and feel anxious and scared” (“Help Guide”). A few things one can do to help someone overcome depression is to “spend time with them” and “support and encourage them to seek help” (“Depression”).  This was not only a touching experience, but it was an educational experience as well.

This event was chosen for my cultural experience essay because depression has existed throughout my life in many different ways. The closest I have been to this experience is dealing with the depression of loved one’s, the depression of friends, and the suicide of two of my former classmates. A former student, Kaaine Dowdell, took his life at the age of 14. Another former student, Greg Olson, took his life at the age of 13. Both of the boys were attending Mona Shores Middle School when they ended their short-lived lives. It was a tragedy for their families and for the people of Muskegon. The ephemeral lives of the two boys was too short. They will never get the chance to graduate or go to college; they will never get the chance to start a career or to have kids. I hope to never experience that situation again; I hope to never feel those saturnine feelings again. This experience did bring back those rough times, but it informed me of what I can do to prevent those rough times from coming back.
This event is a cultural experience because depression is apart of millions  of people. “An estimated 350 million people of all ages suffer from depression everyday” (“World Health Organization”). It is a cultural experience because depression is apart of approximately 350 million people’s culture. Approximately 350 million people have to experience the same macabre feelings everyday. Approximately 350 million people ask the question “Is this life worth living?”. If this is not a cultural experience, then what is? Everyday people are fighting a horrific battle. Will this battle every come to an end?

This experience shows how little people pay attention to the attitude of others. Suicide rates and the feelings of depression are rapidly incrementing as the years continue. “About one death occurs every 15 minutes” (“Huffington Post”). If everyone paid more attention to how others act, then maybe the United States, as a whole, could rapidly decrease suicide rates and feelings of depression. Everyone can make a difference, so let's make that difference be saving a life or the lives of others.

“Depression can be caused by genetics, brain chemistry, attitude, gender, life situations, pregnancy, and other illness” (“Pine Rest”). “50-70 percent of those who have eating disorders suffer from depression” (“Pine Rest”). Research estimates that “by 2030 depression will outpace cancer, stroke, war, and accidents; depression will be the world’s leading cause of disability and death” (“Huffington Post”). On Thursday, November 19, 2015 from 6:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m, a delectable event leading to make the world a better place was held by the Mona Shores High School. Although it was immensely informative, there is still a spark of curiosity remaining. What happens when suicide becomes the number one problem in America? Why do others not listen to those who seek help? Why is depression such a huge problem in a country where what is needed is given and where freedom is allowed? Depression is a battle, but we will win the victory.

Work Cited
“Causes of Depression.” Pine Rest. Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services. 2016. Web. 23 Feb. 2016.
“Depression.” Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster. 2015. Web. 27 Feb. 2016.
“Depression.” WHO. World Health Organization. 2016. Web. 27 Feb. 2016.
“Helping Others.” Depression. Health Promotion Agency. n.d. Web. 23 Feb. 2016.
Melnick, Meredith. “Robin Williams’ Death Reveals How Hard It Can Be To Climb Out of Depression.” Huffington Post. Huffington Post. 2016. Web. 27 Feb. 2016. 
Peeples, Lynne. “15 Myths and Facts About Suicide and Depression.” Health. Health Media Ventures, Inc. 2016. Web. 27 Feb. 2016.
Robinson, Lawrence. “Depression in Men and Women.” Help Guide. Help Guide. February 2016. Web. 25 Feb. 2016.

A cultural experience essay based on depression