Motorcycle Helmet Laws; Harmful or Helpful | Teen Ink

Motorcycle Helmet Laws; Harmful or Helpful

February 7, 2016
By Anonymous

Currently, one of the most well known issues in our country that is majorly affecting citizen’s safety, is the issue of motorcycle helmet laws; their power, and also effectiveness. Throughout history, this has been an ongoing somewhat smaller issue, but just recently it has come up again concerning the safety of riders (driving the motorcycle) and passengers. Many have been claimed by death because of this complicated issue. States are given the choice to either have universal, partial, or no helmet law. Universal helmet laws mean all riders of all ages are mandated to wear a helmet, and partial(partially) is based on age and location.

In 1966, congress passed the Highway Safety Act, which highly encourages states to issue helmets laws. If not changed, the state government will be issued a fine after some time. Soon after, many states began changing their motorcycle helmet law to universal, when this became a controversy. During 1975, 47 of the 50 states had universal helmet laws. Later however, the federal government made an amendment to this act, the result being many states repealing their helmet laws. In August 1, 1997, the first state to repeal their universal law was Arkansas. Arkansas changed its motorcycle helmet law to require helmet use only for riders under age 21. In September 1, 1997, Texas required helmet use only for riders under age 21 and for older riders who have not completed a rider education course or who do not have at least $10,000 medical insurance coverage. Kentucky also repealed its universal helmet law. A total of 27 states have repealed its universal helmet law, and three currently do not even issue one (Houston & Richardson).


Most of the population is split on whether or not it be mandatory for all riders to wear helmets. Supporters of helmets declare that there are no negatives effects to wearing a helmet. They believe that wearing a helmet benefits motorcycle riders greatly, and in some cases save riders from death, and serious brain injuries. Critics state that many motorcycle helmets do not live up to their high standards, and actually may do more harm than good. The two opposing sides are constantly presenting arguments for what they believe is for the common good of United States citizens. Key arguments in this debate include whether motorcyclists wearing helmets decrease injury and mortality rates, and whether or not it matters the age of the rider, and location of where he or she is driving. Essentially, the whole disagreement can be simplified into one main concept; are helmets the solution to saving lives across the country, or does our nation need to discover a different, more improved strategy?

Supporters for mandatory motorcycle helmet usage for all riders state that passengers, as well as riders always wearing a helmet, would decrease the amount of injury and mortality rates in the U.S. Many U.S. citizens are being seriously harmed, or even dying from collisions because of this ongoing issue. Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is the single best way to prevent motorcycle accident fatalities, with a rate of 37% for riders, and 41% for passengers (GHSA). Many percentages clearly show the difference wearing a motorcycle helmet contributes to people’s lives and safety. “NHTSA determined that at least 1,829 lives were saved in 2008-2009 because riders were wearing helmets. Sadly, an additional 822 victims would have lived if they had been using a helmet in the accident(Motorcycle Accident Statistics and Possible Causes).” But these findings do not stop there. The CDC indicated that on average 12% of seriously injured motorcyclists were not wearing helmets with universal helmet laws, compared to 64% in partial helmet law states, and 79% in states without a helmet law(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). Helmets save lives, and the facts are there to prove supporters theory. Helmets provide safety for the head of the rider, which reduces the rate of serious head injuries, and in some cases death.


However, not all people are supporters. Many critics claim that wearing a helmet does not infact, protect the rider from any life threatening injury, or death. Though it is known throughout the country that wearing a helmet does provide a small amount of protection, in serious and sometimes not serious accidents, the use of a helmet does not live up to its high standards. Studies have shown that in 2013, 59 percent of seriously injured motorcycle drivers were wearing a helmet, and for passengers wearing a helmet, 49 percent were badly injured as well(Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute). There have been many cases where motorcyclists have been wearing a helmet, but ended up dying from head injuries. As an example, a couple was riding a motorcycle on the street. Both the passenger and the driver wore helmets.  A man was in a car coming at them, and he wasn’t paying attention. The three people were in a serious crash, and two of them died. The careless car driver survived(Motorcycle Safety Foundation). The most common fatalities for motorcycle riders are head injuries. Many leave riders dead, or with permanent brain damage. Despite the fact that helmets may decrease some head injuries, many fatalities still occur(Ehline). Maybe helmets play a small part in safety, but the only way to fully save lives is to decrease the careless driving of both car, and motorcycle drivers.

 

The design of many motorcycle helmets has shown to save many lives from head injuries, and even death. It may be the reason there are many supporter for motorcycle helmet laws. Many people are in favor of the specific design, and model of the helmet. Besides the safety a motorcycle helmet provides, it also has other advantages, which in some cases have stopped many accidents from occurring. Helmets cushion the head, and provide safety from most serious injuries with it’s multi layer design. The outer shell of the helmet is a strong layer design to resist abrasions, and provide protection from any penetrating object. Many helmets are designs to be light weight by using specific things for the shell. Inside of the helmet is a foam lining, designed to be the most important. The lining is thick, specially designed foam which makes it a necessary substance for helmet protection. The foam layer absorbs energy from collisions that otherwise would be directed right into the skull and the brain, causing a serious head injury(Motorcycle Safety Foundation). Helmets similar to these are necessary for rider’s safety. An important device of the helmet, would be the visor. The visor has the ability to keep out water, some instances sun, and keeps out unwanted insect visitors. Quality motorcycle helmets not only provide safety, but other desirable elements that may prevent accidents.


On the other hand, many argue that most helmets design does not offer all that advantages some claim they do. It has even been said that wearing a helmet may cause more injury than they prevent. Helmets have been known decrease the ability for driver to hear while riding. This issue has the ability to cause many accidents, and result in injury, damage, and even death. Nonetheless, this can be fatal at times. Another issue would be that most up to code helmets are quite heavy(bikersrights.com). Though they are made in a way to protect the skull, a helmet puts a lot of weight on the neck. Studies have shown that many serious injuries, are to the neck, rather than the head as suspected. This results in many serious neck injuries, and even paralysis. The heavy helmet makes the rider’s neck and spine less sturdy, so if the driver gets into a supposedly non fatal crash, the helmet may increase the amount of damage to the rider. Honestly, the rider has a choice. Protect his or her head, and risk his neck, or protect his neck and risk his head. No passenger or driver should ever have to regularly make that choice due to helmets, and their design.

According to most of the public, the maturity and geography should not matter when motorcycle riders are deciding whether or not to wear a helmet while riding. Many claim that for all riders of all ages, there should be a mandatory helmet law in every state of the United States. Currently, there are 20 states, including Washington D.C., that require a universal helmet law, meaning that all riders are under law to wear a helmet while riding. There are 27 states that have a partial law, ranging from riders needing to wear a helmet from that ages of 17 and below, to 20 and below. Lastly, there are three states that do not require helmet use whatsoever(Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute). It has been shown by many studies that when helmet laws are either weakened, or repealed, the actual helmet use drops to about 50%. This has a dramatic impact on injuries that riders may suffer if in an accident(Moffa). Supporters believe that all motorcycle riders should wear helmets. They claim that age is not something safety should depend on, because there legitimately is no difference between the chances of head injury between age groups. Many people are deeply considering forcing every rider to wear a helmet, because as studies have proven once again, riders not wearing a helmet are more likely to be involved in an accident and received serious injuries than riders wearing a helmet.
In spite of all these supporters, many are believing just the opposite. Critics state the age and location of motorcycle riders should be taken into consideration while producing helmet laws. Not all helmet laws, should be the same, rather they should vary depending on the geography, and also the age/maturity of the driver. Many believe that more drivers over the age of 20 are less likely to be involved in a fatal crash, the reason being that they are older, more experienced drivers, most are more responsible, and possess less audacity. The main statement of critics, is that motorcycle riders should be able to decide for themselves (depending on state law) whether or not they wish to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Many partial helmet use laws, those requiring only a certain age group to wear helmets have been known to not be effective because of enforcement issues. These issues and more may raise confusion, and many question the role of helmets because laws are not being carried out(bikersrights.com). Either states have an enforced law, or riders are given the ability to decide for themselves. Some may argue that everyone in every state, and of every age should be forced to wear a helmet, but many believe it’s the rider’s choice based on their own information and knowledge.    

 

The debate between the two sides of motorcycle laws continues, as many lives are being claimed from this issue. One side claims the importance of helmets and helmet laws concerning injury rates, helmet design, and maturity and geography. Critics claim that helmets do not provide all they claim to do. Currently and in the future, both critics and supporters will still be debating over this topic because of its national importance. Soon state’s governments will have to make decisions, either to keep the standing law, or to make amends to it, good or bad. This topic of motorcycle laws impacts society everyday across the nation. It’s not such a simple decision, the reason being it can be the law that saves, or destroys lives. The right decision may be more difficult to achieve because of many arguments. This issue will not just go away quietly. What is the decision that will be for the greater good of all people, and what are the necessary steps to obtain safety for all motorcycle riders?