Different Types of Chocolate | Teen Ink

Different Types of Chocolate

November 8, 2015
By Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
Cassia_S GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It's that time of year again. Halloween. A time where trick-or-treaters ring doorbells and swarms of superheroes, princesses, foods and figures flood the streets. However, we’re missing something big.... the unforgettable candy. And of course, everyone has their favorite kind of candy, but did you know that chocolate is one of the most popular candies during Halloween? Pretty easy to imagine with so many types of chocolate: white, dark, milk… the list goes on and on.

Let's start of with my favorite kind, white chocolate. It’s surprising how, technically speaking, white chocolate isn't even a kind of chocolate because unlike other chocolates, it usually doesn’t contain any chocolate liquor at all. According to the FDA, white chocolate must contain at least 20% cocoa butter and 14% milk in order to be classified as white chocolate.

Then there’s dark chocolate, perceived to be the healthiest kind of chocolate by many people. Studies have even proven that this type of chocolate may help blood flow more freely to the brain. Additionally, this effects of eating this kind of chocolate have been associated with lowering the risk of cancer and helping to regulate cholesterol. However, having too much of any kind of chocolate and sugar can lead to health problems.

Furthermore, there is milk chocolate, the most common type of eating chocolate. According to the FDA, this kind of chocolate must contain at least 10% chocolate liquor and 12% milk. Milk chocolate is everywhere, and it is the most basic form of chocolate.

The above 3 are the most common kinds of chocolates one may see during Halloween, as we don’t see many people who say they will give out organic bittersweet baking chocolate! But just in case you wanted to know some other types of chocolate, read on!

Ever heard of baking chocolate? Well, baking chocolate is categorized as any of the following kinds of chocolate: unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet baking chocolate, or baking-resistant chocolate. Generally, unsweetened chocolate is simply chocolate liquor with no added sugar. Bittersweet baking chocolate is simply unsweetened chocolate with sugar, or basically chocolate liquor combined with sugar and no cocoa butter. Meanwhile, baking-resistant chocolate is chocolate such as chocolate chips, which won’t melt as easily as other types of chocolate when baking.

In conclusion, there are many different types of chocolate. Each is different, but each is special and serves an unique purpose, whether it’s for eating, baking, or decoration. Talking about all this chocolate is making me hungry!


Sources:
"Nutritional Differences Between White, Dark and Milk Chocolate." Culinary Central. Le Cordon
Bleu, 17 Apr. 2012. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. .

Sharp, Michelle. "Types of Chocolate - Facts About Chocolate." Facts About Chocolate.
Chocolate University, 05 Jan. 2012. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. .

"Kinds." - The Story of Chocolate. National Confectioners Association, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2015.
.