My Trip to India | Teen Ink

My Trip to India

December 5, 2008
By Anonymous

In the summer of 2005, I went on a once in a lifetime adventure to India. I am of Indian decent but I was born in the United States. I wear American clothes, eat American food, and do what the average American does. I didn’t really know too much about Indian culture except for the fact that they made their food so spicy, I would need a whole jug of water to get rid of the taste. I also knew that Indian clothes are unique and designer. My parents always tried to tell me how rich Indian traditions were, but I was never able to comprehend. I finally understood my precious culture when I attended my uncle’s traditional wedding.

It was a normal school day when my mom told me the great news. As soon as I came home she ran up to me and shrieked, “We’re going to India!” “Why?” I asked. She replied, “Uncle Akbar is getting married.” I was thrilled and excited. I had never been to a traditional Indian wedding, and since he is my favorite and close uncle, I was allowed to help prepare for this festive occasion along with my other family members. I couldn’t wait to go to Hyderabad (my family’s hometown) and participate in the wedding. I would have never known that this special event would help me understand age-old traditions which my parents always talked about.

The preparations for the extravaganza were already underway even before we all landed in India. Members from both sides of the family were busy looking for reception halls, hairstylists, and the latest designer clothes for the wedding. Uncle Akbar put me in charge of finding the wedding dress for the bride since I was said to have “a taste in fashion.” A few days after being in Hyderabad, the whole family went to Mumbai to choose the final dress for the bride. All the women went to a lot of boutiques and by the end of the afternoon I felt like I was going to drop dead. We finally entered a boutique called “Queens Bridal Showroom.” The workers showed us a lot of dresses. (The Indian name for a dress is “sari”) There were many design and color choices. I was starting to give up on the showrooms until I saw the ideal dress for the bride. It was bright pink with a very big, gold border. It was also adorned with gold flowers and leaves. As soon as the bride laid eyes on the dress I chose for her she said, “Peenaz, it’s absolutely perfect! I am going to try it on right now.” When she came out of the fitting room and stepped into the light, she looked like a queen indeed. I also helped the bride find her reception dress. It was blue and green with multi-colored stones and beads. A worker told us it was the newest designer piece and was the latest style out there. My mom, the bride, and I quickly paid for the dresses and ran out to find matching purses and shoes. By the end of the day, we were all set and ready to leave for Hyderabad where the wedding was to take place.

After a month of intense preparation and making sure everything was flawless, the wedding day finally arrived. In the afternoon, all the close guests and relatives were invited to my grandma’s apartment to perform the traditional wedding ceremony called “Nikah.” This was when my uncle and the bride would exchange vows and become husband and wife. When the bride came inside the room wearing the bright pink sari I chose for her, all the guests stared in awe. Before sitting at her place she gave me a big smile. I beamed back because I knew I was responsible for making her a gorgeous bride. After the traditions and ceremonies, it was time for the reception party! It was at the Sheraton Hotel and it was amazing. At the party, my aunt wore the blue and green dress I picked out. She looked like she came out of a catalog. The reception was very fun; we ate, danced, and cut a very big cake. The family agreed that the wedding was huge success and everyone participated in something that helped the wedding a memorable one.

I realized that my adventure to India and my uncle’s wedding inspired me and helped me understand Indian traditions. Because I was a part of this occasion, I learned so much about how an Indian society works. I was very proud that I was in charge for the bride’s dresses because it gave me a sense of responsibility and appreciation for my culture. I realized the Indian culture isn’t just about spicy food and clothes; there is so much more to the age-old traditions that were followed, and will continue to be followed from one generation to the next. My uncle’s wedding helped me comprehend all the traditions my parents used to tell me about because I actually experienced them myself. Now it is safe to say that I am an Indian because I know about their customs and practices. I can also say that the trip to India transformed me from an American girl to an American girl who is proud and aware of her cultural backgrounds.

The author's comments:
I love to travel. After going India, I went to many other countries like Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, London, Switzerland, and France to learn about their individual cultures and traditionals. I have realized that everyone's traditions are unique and special in their own ways. I feel like after my experience in india, I have grown a keen interest in learning about different kinds of cultures. I hope the readers feel what I felt back then and also gain an interest.