Puerto Rico: Top 7 Spots for Teens! | Teen Ink

Puerto Rico: Top 7 Spots for Teens!

August 18, 2015
By CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida
CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Teenagers are always looking for fun, thrilling, adventurous places to go. I must say, Puerto Rico is a definite destination spot for you. From surfing to hiking to cave exploring and to ‘chillin,’ you will find plenteous enjoyments in this Caribbean tropical paradise.

Puerto Rico, the island of Borinquen, was named by the Taino indian ancestors. Its capital, San Juan, gets its name from Christopher Columbus who discovered the island in 1493. Its Spanish name meaning “Rich Port” describes this island beauty. Puerto Rico has a rich diversity of sights to behold and experience. Native born in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I have experienced the charms and wonders of Puerto Rico first hand. Come along as we take a look into the “Island of Enchantment.” These are my personal recommendations for you!

Teen Spot #1: The Beaches
What is the best part of Puerto Rico? You guessed it... the beaches! Dorado, Rincon and Fajardo are my top three:

Dorado Beach and Resort. If you want lush, over the top, hand and foot service then Dorado is for you. Get a taste of the millionaire life! Dorado Beach is the grandest and most exquisite beach reserve in all of Puerto Rico. Since the 1950’s, originated by Rockefeller’s vacation experiences, Dorado has been treating tourists to a high class, posh oceanfront retreat. The hotel, spa, shops, water parks and surrounding areas have been revived into a luxurious escape where you can vacation worry free. Girls if you are looking to spend a day in ultimate repose, then head over to Dorado’s Botanico spa. There you will be treated to a variety of healing massages and therapies in an amazing setting where you are one with nature. You and your friend will not want to miss this blissful indulgence. An  exciting way to get a full sightseeing tour of Dorado is with a rented golf cart or bring your own. My grandma and I often take hers for a drive around the grounds. You can travel through all of the resort to take in its many sights. You can see the Watermill that has been their since the resort’s opening, drive the Rockefeller nature trail, and travel along the well known sea coast. Goodwinds Sports can teach you to sail, windsurf or kitesurf. I haven’t tried these myself yet.

Rincon Beaches. Rincon hosts some of the most popular surf beaches of the Atlantic. If you are a person who loves to hit the waves, then head for this surf beach. It will rock your board! Rincon was brought to the world’s attention as a surf beach when it hosted the International Surfing Championship in 1968. Since then, surfers from all over the world trek to Rincon. Rincon Spot is the surf mecca in all of PR with three distinct locations: The Cove, Rivermouth and Indicator.  If you are a beginner, head to Sandy Beach where lots of sand makes it safe to learn if you are just starting out. It is great for boogie boarding as well. If you are looking for something a little more challenging then Dogman’s beach is for you where you can mingle with the locals and get the inside scoop. Advanced surfers should head to Tres Palmas where things heat up with swells reaching 25 feet! Yowza! Hang 10!  A person looking for extreme surfing can head to ‘Dead Man’s’ Beach, the wildest of all with an advanced right break against a dangerous cliff.

Fajardo Beaches and ‘El Conquistador Resort’  While staying at the Conquistador Resort, the beach you will visit sits across the waterway. Not far off the coast, you’ll find Palomina Island that is reached by taking a ferry. There will be tons of fun to experience on this island. There are a variety of things to see and do; swimming among the coral reef, horseback riding around the island, hiking on the trails, exhilarating catamaran rides, unforgettable sailing experiences, specialized tours, waverunners, banana boats and hobi cats. All the watersports get you quite hungry. The resort has an abundance of delicious restaurants where you can fill your belly with a delectable lunch or dinner. As a child, I always ordered a juicy cheeseburger with fries for lunch! The best memory that I have of spending time on that island is exploring the shallow coral reefs with my sisters and cousin where we saw schools of beautiful colored fish and coral plants.

Teen Spot #2: Old San Juan
For a quaint historical excursion you must visit Old San Juan. Old San Juan is the oldest city in Puerto Rico whose architecture remains preserved. The cobblestone streets and authentic Spanish architecture are stunning. It has Spanish buildings, landmarks, and a variety of traditional Puerto Rican foods, music and dancing. It is the main spot where you can really experience the true and thrilling culture of the island and its people.

If you have a passion for art go on over to the art school “Liga de Arte” where you can create your own artistic work. Situated on a high hill, as  you paint you will get a spectacular view of the ocean. They offer classes in a variety of art making styles. Classes are given for ages 3-18 and for adults. I took classes here when I was five years old.

One of Puerto Rico’s national monuments is the Castillo San Felipe del Morro. It is one of PR’s oldest sites. It is a wonderful place where you can go to fly a kite or go on a nice picnic with your family. Running along the border of Old San Juan lies the forty foot wall which protected this famed city years ago during the time when the Spaniards had Puerto Rico under their rule. And if you are craving something sweet for dessert then head to my favorite dessert stop, the famous Ben and Jerry’s, where they sell the best ice cream in all of San Juan.

Teen Spot #3: El Yunque
Continue your exotic adventure in El Yunque, the Puerto Rican Tropical Rain Forest National Park. It is the only tropical rain forest in the US National forest system and is Puerto Rico’s tropical jewel. It is breathtaking upon its entrance. It contains alluring waterfalls, cinematic views, and exhilarating hiking trails. After a hot hike you can head to one of the waterfall areas and take a dip to cool off or stand under the rushing fall. Ooooh! Refreshing! Once that’s over you are sure to have quite an appetite. Find a nice spot near a waterfall and you and your family can have a picnic. At times you may feel very hot and sticky but it’s an adventure you definitely won’t want to miss.

Teen Spot #4: Parque de las Cavernas
Proceed to the spooky Parque de las Cavernas del Rio Camuy. Upon arriving you will be treated to a wonderful tour of the famous caves of PR. You will have the chance to explore the caves and be able to learn astonishing facts. You will see pools of calm, crystal clear water that have been there for thousands of years and catch a glimpse of bats dwelling in small caverns. They may even fly overhead! Bwah-hah-hah! You’ll have a chance to get a sight of a gigantic sink hole. Once you lay eyes on it you’ll be surprised at how huge it really is and how small you really are. Apart from this, going to the the caves gives you a break from Puerto Rico’s confounded hot weather. It was the most awesome experience I’ve had in Puerto Rico.

If you are looking for an extreme spelunking experience...then make your way to the Aventuras Tierra Adentro. This was my parents’ favorite. You trek the caves like a primitive explorer and meet dangers that are lurking at every corner. You must be in excellent physical shape for this journey. You will get dirty from head to toe so bring clothes you will throw away after. You will head deep underground. Expect to repel, swim, climb, free jump, body raft and zip line. Guides will walk you through waterways filled with snakes, you will scramble under and over boulders in blackness with the aid of only a headlamp, you will climb hundreds of feet and make your own safety clips. Your life will literally be in your own hands! Don’t worry though, your guides have done this for 28 years and will keep you safe every step of the way. I have taken the easy tour but haven’t attempted the extreme tour. I will one day soon, maybe?!

Teen Spot #5:  The Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico
The Museum of Art of Puerto Rico is one of the most well known modern art museums in San Juan. There are a variety of art galleries within. The original building houses its permanent collection in 14 galleries. Here Puerto Rican art is preserved and displayed with some pieces as old as the 17th century. Every few years they change the exhibits to continue to make the museum an interesting place to visit. If you are looking for a scenic garden view you can head to the back of the museum where you will see a gorgeous garden with many different kinds of plants and flowers, and a few architectural statues. In the middle of the entire garden there is a pond with bright green lilypads and a variety of different colored koi fish.

Teen Spot #6:  Parguera’s Bio Bay
One of the most tantalizing natural spots in the southern part of PR is Parguera, a small fishing village, where you will find Bio Bay at Laguna Grande. By day the waters are as clear as a mirror and the sands of the lagoon are as white as pearl. But, by night you can kayak or moon surf in the bioluminescent bay! You’ll be stunned when you see this bright sight that is beyond your imagination. The best time to do this is on a moonless night. Those are the nights when the billions of plankton will give off its radiant glow with every stroke of your paddle. This will surely make your travel stories more exciting when you tell your family back home. You can say you coalesced with the lighted algae!!

Teen Spot #7: The Mall of San Juan
Girls listen up! If you love to shop ‘til you drop, then you should take a trip to The Mall of San Juan. It is San Juan’s latest luxury mall. It houses high class fashion stores, dining and more. Its exclusive stores include NordStrom, Gucci, Versace, Kate Spade, and Banana Republic with more stores opening soon. In a central location, near the airport and beaches, it is easy to reach from where you might be staying. Enjoy ‘Blue Nights’ live music on the third floor terrace on the first Friday and Saturday every month. What is most special about the Mall of San Juan is that it is a cornerstone for community outreach and charitable donations. Since its opening they have raised $45,000 for the San Juan community and they regularly sponsor charity events.  They also collect the coins that are thrown into the mall’s main fountain and give it to the Boy’s and Girl’s Club of Puerto Rico. You can feel good about the money you spend there since the San Juan Mall gives back to the needy communities of Puerto Rico.


The author's comments:

"If you decide to visit this island paradise, take my word for it that you'll have a wonderful and memorable time!!"