My Favorite Festival | Teen Ink

My Favorite Festival

By ShannonShannon BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
ShannonShannon BRONZE, Pasco, Washington

Chinese new year is my favorite festival. It always starts on the first day of the new
year in Chinese calendar and it last 15 days long, mostly it is in February of the normal
calendar. It always the best time during the year.

Without exception, all of Chinese will eat dumplings. Dumplings are Chinese
traditional food. There are lots of types of dumplings, but the one I like the most is called
Chinese cabbage with pork. All the stuff in dumplings are ground. Because dumplings are
boiled in water, so they are kind of juicy, you can feel the juice with soft delicious stuff full
of your mouth, all of your taste bud will enjoy it. And they are also smell good, for me, it is
the smell of happy! When you are done boiling them, it is kind of transparent, you can see
the color of the stuff inside. If you touch it, it is soft and smooth, and also hot. Everyone
loves dumplings.

After we eat dumplings, we will have fireworks and firecrackers. Fireworks are so
pretty, like flowers bloom in the sky and shine. Firecrackers are super loud, like
thunder happen beside my ears, but it doesn't have any shape.

People will also pay special attention to the news about Spring Festival gala, it has dancing, singing and some funny traditional Chinese stuff called “Xiangsheng” and “Xiaopin” they get used to watching it every year, the director will take a long time to prepare for it. Every piece of news about the gala will become the hot topic, Spring Festival gala has become part of people’s life, even the tradition.

Since our parents’ generation, Spring Festival gala holds every year in the eve of
Spring Festival, after eating the dinner, the families get together and watch the gala. As
the development of the TV program, the traditional show has faced many challenges, the
young generation is not that into the Spring Festival gala, but it still attracts people’s
attention and keeps the highest audience rating.

Watching gala show has become the tradition, people get used to watching it, if this
show is cancelled, we will feel something is missing in our life. In fact, the meaning of the
gala gives people a chance to get united and enjoy the time with their families.

My American friends tried to hold a Chinese new year party for me, they cooked Chinese food and hung up Chinese decoration, but it was not the same, because my family was not with me, and no fireworks, firecracker and gala show.

For me Chinese new year period is the best time of the whole year, and I can’t wait for
the next one.