Australia's Features | Teen Ink

Australia's Features

June 1, 2015
By crazaypay44 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
crazaypay44 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.


Want to take a vacation with lot’s of amazing scenery with great land and sea features? I know I sure would love to. Well if so Australia is the perfect place to go there is so many different and cool places to explore there, for instance the Outback full of Australia’s largest deserts and canyons sweeping over to the big and busy cities like Sydney and Perth and off and around to the coastal sandbars of Australia like the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier Reef. Those places that I just mentioned are absolutely stunning and are the perfect places to get away and discover something new! I will not only inform you on those places but other places in Australia that are also very breath taking and would be a fun filled vacation. First I will start off with the deserts lands of Australia then I will move on to the coastal areas and last with the amazing cities of Australia.


According to the Outback Australia travel secrets page the great victoria desert is the largest of the 6 deserts in Australia. There are also many interesting animals in the Outback such as kangaroos, dingos, crocodiles, snakes, spiders, and many species of lizards. Many think that the lizards there are very dangerous and deadly but for the most part it’s all show they only look scary most are slow, friendly, and easy to catch. The insect you should be scared of are the spiders most are very poisonous and in some cases deadly. Starting off with the Great Victoria desert it is 163,900miles2 which is very very big! Summers are very hot in this desert the temperature can range anywhere from 90 degrees Fahrenheit and 105 degrees Fahrenheit although the temperatures are very hot the climate is never humid so the heat is not as uncomfortable as you may think. Winters are anywhere between 68 degrees Fahrenheit and 77 degrees Fahrenheit which is a very comfortable temperature to be in especially if you want to do lot’s of exploring in the desert. When night comes around in the winter the desert can get freezing so it’s best not to go camping out there otherwise you’ll wake up a little frosty.


The next largest desert in Australia is the Great Sandy desert it stretches out to 110,038miles2. A cool feature in the Great Sandy Desert is the Kata Tjuta Uluru National Park it is located in the southeast corner of the Great Sandy desert. The park has a big sandy rock called the Ayers Rock that is the color of orangish or reddish sand and when the sun sets it makes the rock turn different shades it absolutely stunning and a must do before dead. The desert is mostly dry year round but for a desert it receives a pretty good amount of rain the average is 250mm per year. The other four deserts that makeup the Outback in Australia don’t really have much significance and have mostly the same climates as the Great Victoria desert and the Great Sandy desert.


Now switching over from desert lands in Australia now I will be talking about some coastal areas in Australia. First off I will talk about the Great Barrier Reef. The great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef and if that's not worth seeing then I don’t know what is! According to the Great barrier Reef page it is one of the seven wonders of the world and is bigger than the great wall of China and also the only thing that can be seen in outer space. There are more than 600 species of fish around the Great barrier Reef and to go swimming around it you will need a body suit to protect you from jellyfish stings if you were to encounter one. Over all the Reef is an absolute beauty is also a must see before dead because if you don’t you’ve wasted your life.


Another cool coastal area is the Gold Coast, it is known for it’s beautiful beaches that stretch out all along the coast. According to City Of Gold Coast page it has 21 beaches along the coast which is truly amazing. The beaches are best known for their surfing and beautiful white sand. The coast covers 52 kilometers and from all the research i’ve done the beaches are basically paradise. Another really cool coastal area is a beach called the twelve apostles it is located on Victoria’s coastline. The twelve apostles is basically a huge stack of rocks along a beach and off to the side of the beach there a big limestone cliffs. When the sun sets it makes a pretty scene with tinting the limestone cliffs an orangish color.


Now I will move onto my last point which is some major touristy cities in Australia. First I will talk about Sydney I can bet you knew i’d say that! Sydney has lots of galleries, stages and museums so that means there are many artists in Sydney. The city also has big festivals where they set up a stage and young musicians go set up and play their music. Many know Sydney as the place with the Opera House which is true people are able to go there but have to be led in by a guided tour. Moving onto another cool touristy city Cairns is in the North part of Queensland. It has a very tropical climate and is also not too far away from the Great Barrier Reef. Something cool to do in Cairns would be to take a skyrail rainforest cableway over the rainforest there it would be very exciting! My last city that I will be talking about is Perth it is a city that sits right by the ocean so there are beaches and it mostly a very sunny city. Perth has one of the world's largest inner city parks called the King's Park they also have lots of cool wineries and chances to swim with dolphins. The city is a really chill and beautiful place to be people just walk around and explore the city and beaches all day which would be great for a vacation.


After all my research I learned so much more about Australia’s land features, climates, and fun places to go and so much more If I ever had the chance to travel outside of America again it would definitely be Australia because it has so many different things to explore there like the hot deserts and the tropical beaches and the artsy and busy cities.


The author's comments:

I wanted to learn more about another country and so I made an article about Australia.