Hidden Corners: Koreatown, New York City | Teen Ink

Hidden Corners: Koreatown, New York City

By marinita28 BRONZE, Stamford, Connecticut
marinita28 BRONZE, Stamford, Connecticut

"I do believe in the power of story. I believe that stories have an important role to play in the formation of human beings, that they can stimulate, amaze and inspire their listeners." - Hayao Miyazaki

Walking through Manhattan is almost like walking through a cluster of little worlds all stuffed into a small island between the Hudson River and the East River.  From Inwood (Manhattan’s north-most neighborhood) to the Financial District (Manhattan’s south-most neighborhood) the island has hundreds of spots to meet people from all over the world and settle in for a while.

Many people don’t know, however, about the small, newly established, Koreatown just north of NoMad.

Although the town is just one block, that is 32nd street between 5th Avenue and Broadway, much like other districts in Manhattan, you have to look up in order to appreciate the expansion.

Lately there has been a huge spread of Korean culture around the world thanks to the so called Hallyu Wave (??).  Korean entertainment has spread across the world, slowly making its way up the charts. Although still in the beginning stage of the wave the influence in clear in as mainstreams as New York. Where there was nearly no Korean influence in the city, now there is a little established town. Whether it will grow out an become as big as Chinatown can only be determined by waiting and observing as Korean pop music and Korean TV dramas become more famous amongst the younger generations.

It’s not hard to locate Koreatown because as soon as you enter you’ll notice both sides of the street filled with Korean restaurants and the very famous karaokes. Only in this street block there is about 20 different Korean restaurants and about 8 different karaoke places. Amongst these restaurants and karaokes there’s Spas, super markets, hairdressers, and book stores. Do beware, however, of the busy streets, much like every else in Manhattan this street is busy, and just because you find yourself in Koreatown it does not mean that the whole city suddenly stops.  The quick urban life style does carry on.

Unfortunately, people under 21 you are not allowed into a karaoke bar but it is important to note, that only people who can handle their alcohol should go in the first place. Korean people are, after all, well known for their drinking habits.

Miss Korea, one of the top rated restaurants in the area has a lot of options for everyone. There is the choice of the first or second floor, which have a different of prices and can fit different budgets. The second floor is divided into private Korean style rooms (there was a low table and cushions to kneels on), and a western style room with several tables. The service is quick and efficient, as well as friendly.

Yukhwe Bibim Naengmyeon, cold noodles and marinated beef with spicy sauce, Kkotsal Yangnyeom Jumulluck, Korean barbeque style marinated boneless rib, and Dolsot Bibimbap with Kimchi Bulgogi  are  three of  the options in the  extensive (and delicious) menu.

Across the street is the local supermarket, which contains many East Asian products too cook all kinds of foreign food. From Japanese sweets, to Korean potato chips, to giant buckets of Kimchi, they have it all.

Besides amazing restaurants and many karaokes there is also will also find Korean brand stores, especially makeup and skin care related stores. Some of the most successful Korean makeup brands, such as The Face Shop and Tony Moly, which were difficult to find in the USA not long ago, are located in this street. Although both brands are on the higher price range, their products will not disappoint.  Tony Moly’s facemasks are very well known and after a session with one on your face will look and feel as soft as a baby’s butt.

Overall, although Koreatown is just one block, there is many possibilities to spend a day (or night) one way or another. Judging the street by just the store fronts will not cover the wonders of the street, remember to look up at the buildings and check out the other floors, and always remember to try new things.

Koreatown is small and understimated. I would like to shine some light on it.