Guitar Town, Waukesha | Teen Ink

Guitar Town, Waukesha

April 21, 2015
By SteinerR SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
SteinerR SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Downtown Waukesha is known for its large factories, its quarry business and its large
scrapyard. But amidst the dirt, grit and smoke of the hardworking arises Les Paul, inventor of the electric guitar.
The droning and clattering of Waukesha’s industry is mixed with the sweet hum of plucking guitar strings, from what is now known as Guitar Town.You won't find any guitar center’s here-only home grown shops, built from Waukesha county soil. This is no bustling Chicago blues-the city of downtown Waukesha is far less populated, making anyone feel at home here and inviting a wide array of musical genres.
The artistry of music is accompanied by the artistry of Guitar Town’s large painted murals of musicians and instruments that seem to play a tune of their own. The art directs you through Guitar Town, taking you to local record shops and guitar vendors. The music never leaves you as you meander through downtown Waukesha’s rhythmic sidewalks.
The tradition that Les Paul left behind for the small industrialized town of Waukesha is held sacred by those who preserved his legacy. Without the music and art of Guitar Town, downtown Waukesha would probably be overrun by its industrial sector, and wouldn’t have the small town charm and character that it does now.