"Wooden Castle Park" | Teen Ink

"Wooden Castle Park"

April 21, 2015
By krickhahn24 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
krickhahn24 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

July 3rd, 1863, the final day of Gettysburg in a confined area call ‘The Angle’, there was one man by the name of First Lt. Alonzo Cushing. Manning the only working artillery piece in his unit, he was wounded three times. First in the right shoulder, he refused to evacuate. Second, a fatal wound to the stomach but once again, he continued to fire. Finally a shot to his mouth ended his life.
My Waukesha County treasure is the park named after this great hero and his brothers, Cushing Memorial Park in Delafield, Wi. It was and still is my favorite park. This park has a playground that trumps others and is a place to enjoy a walk down the Civil War Riverwalk.
“Can we go to the wooden castle park?!” are words that came out of my mouth every time I was asked what park I wanted to go to as a child.  Going to this park sparked much creativity and imagination as a spark plug and an engine.
Cushing Memorial Park is a place to scoop up the tadpoles in the Bark River, a place to portray the gallant knight who rescues the damsel from the fire-breathing dragon, and a place to commemorate those who have fallen in battle at the historical war monuments.
One hundred years after the dedication to Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, First Lt. Alonzo Cushing, the park is still loved and enjoyed by all ages. Cushing Memorial park is truly a treasure.