Treasure | Teen Ink

Treasure

Hidden by houses, trees, and greenery sits a lake.  Many do not know all it has to offer.  I see the lake differently than others do--I see Pewaukee Lake as my treasure.  It is a place where I find passion, a sanctuary, and a home.

Watching the illuminating sun slowly disappear below the tree line, and the waves start to calm.  And everything is still.  I find myself slowly dipping my toes into the greeny-blue water, watching the ripples form below.  Laying there on the faded old wooden pier, staring up as the day turns to night.  Setting my mind free, I dream.  This is my safe haven.

I was raised on Pewaukee.  This is where my parents taught me to sail.  Sailing brought opportunities into my life that I could have never imagined.  From attending sailing school, to now becoming a sailing school instructor, where I am passing on my knowledge and love of sailing to younger generations.  This is what makes me smile the biggest.  Whenever I am on the water, I am me.  This is when I let my dreams set sail and am the captain of my life.

I have not only found my passion, and also my sanctuary and my home.  I have found people that make my life whole.  And I have found friendships I know will last forever.  But most of all, the lake will always be filled with wonder.  And that is why Pewaukee Lake is a treasure to me.