Treasure of Waukesha County | Teen Ink

Treasure of Waukesha County

April 22, 2015
By kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
kassidy.tarala PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
23 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    As you travel along the paved road of Main Street in Downtown Merton, you come across a buried treasure. Hidden among rows of old homes and quaint stores stands the Merton Sub Company--known to locals as the Merton Sub Shop.
  

  The Merton Sub Shop is owned and operated by a local family. They pay the rent, work behind the counter, and purchase the ingredients to create the masterpiece that is a Merton Sub Shop sandwich, and most importantly, they become part of your own family.
 

   Growing up, my dad and I took hundreds of trips to the Merton Sub Shop. Some of the best days of my childhood were spent biking to the shop, ordering an Italian sub and cherry soda, and chatting with the owners.
   

The owners never hesitate to sit with us and ask about our lives in exchange for their own stories. The friendliness of the owners goes far past good service. Customer after customer, the owners know the name of every single one that enters the shop.
  

  The Merton Sub Shop provides locals--and out-of-towners--a home away from home. Known for its unique array of mismatched tables and chairs, Merton Sub Shop provides customers a comfortable setting where family--whether related by blood or not--gathers.
   

Next time you cruise the paved road on Main Street in Downtown Merton, look past the historic houses...weed through the assortment of local stores...and find the secret treasure of Waukesha County: Merton Sub Company.