Oakes of Milwaukee Street | Teen Ink

Oakes of Milwaukee Street

April 21, 2015
By Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Jacob2015 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions." Paulo Coelho


Milwaukee Street runs along Nagawicka Lake in Delafield, and is bordered with arm’s-span thick oak trees. A warm breeze from the lake weaves around the oaks to the shaded street as I ride my bike in the summer. The street is where I bike, as well as where I nap when I become tired of biking. Milwaukee Street is a well-shaded area, where I get the feeling of relaxation in a natural environment. This street is a treasure to me.

Unfortunately, Milwaukee Street is a treasure that Waukesha County is likely to loose within the next year. Delafield is currently undergoing a process of expanding Milwaukee Street and adding walking and biking paths along the sides of the road. In order for this project to be completed, over 30 massive oak trees will be cut down.

These oak trees are treasures because they are so large in size.I have never had a problem biking down Milwaukee Street, and see no need to expand the road. “Don’t fix what isn't broken” is what I am trying to say.

I recently learned in economics that when “cost exceeds benefit, the certain project should not be carried out.” In this case, the cost of losing the beautiful oaks exceeds the benefit of a bike path and larger road. Milwaukee Street is a treasure in Waukesha County, and must not be destroyed.