Dickten Park | Teen Ink

Dickten Park

By LoneStorm SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
LoneStorm SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Across the rusty railroad tracks and beyond the lightly-traveled Vettleson road lies a place close to the hearts of every member of the Village of Nashotah.  Dickten Park sits pleasantly, waiting for your arrival, with playground, playing fields, forest paths, firehouse, and a place to call your second home. 

The breeze is always light and comforting when I trudge to the walking path, escaping from the stresses of the week.  Watching the children laugh and play, the birds enjoy the abundance of nooks in the surrounding trees grants me a sanctuary that I’ve known ever since my first steps.  Down the quiet, wooded trail are places to watch the wildlife thrive in Nagawicka lake.

Overlooking the park, atop a hill, rests the Lake Country Fire Station.  Every red brick on the towering wall was set into place by a volunteer, every firefighter within having also entered without pay.  It houses massive fire trucks, redder than Dickten’s trees in fall -- shining trucks my sister and I would climb after our parents’ firefighter meetings.

Often people wander to the park as a common meeting place for friends and a place to make new ones.  A place where my sister and I sneak under the shade of night to lay beneath the stars on the soccer field and watch meteors streak across the sky carries our wishes.

This treasure is insurmountable in worth in the Waukesha County, for the worthof gold pales in comparison to the memories held within Dickten Park.