Belize Navidad | Teen Ink

Belize Navidad MAG

April 5, 2015
By kimdo BRONZE, San Jose, California
kimdo BRONZE, San Jose, California
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

“Let’s go somewhere.” Three simple words that undeniably arouse any adventurer. It was these words that ignited every physical sense. It was these words that elicited a smirk with the response, “What about Belize?”

Well, what about Belize? Maybe it was because I was attracted to the way the syllables rolled off my tongue, or perhaps because I lusted for the scent of jungle air. But even as I boarded the plane, my sleeves were still stained with trepidation. Should I have just stayed home? Sipped on hot cocoa, continued with my plebeian routine? Surely, it was the safer route: an insect-free, sweat-free holiday break. But there was something about my jitters that also forged an appetite for adventure and enticement.

So there I was, sleepless in SFO, preparing to embark on my expedition to Belize in late December. This remote Central American country borders the southeastern tip of Mexico and the northern edge of Honduras. While relatively small in size, its geographical wonders are not to be underestimated. Belize offers an invitation to ancient Mayan ruins, clear skies, and a flavorful taste of the native cuisine.

When I arrived in San Ignacio that late December morning, I was welcomed by mascara-smudging humidity and amiable locals. “Belize Navidad!” they cried. How they managed to crack a joke in the 90° degree weather left me pondering.

My sojourn comprised four days in San Ignacio, where I explored the renowned Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave, caressed baby iguanas, and held 2,000-year-old artifacts. The next three days were spent in Placencia, where I bid farewell to my final seconds of 2014 and leapt into 2015.

While exploring the No’ Och cave and Xunantunich ruins top my wildest experiences, the friendships I made were the most memorable of the trip. The backpackers were from as far away as Munich, London, and Quebec and as close to home as Santa Rosa and Santa Barbara, and each one furthered my passion for traveling through their stories. They gave me memories that cannot be captured in a photograph and laughter that cannot be reproduced.

Brazil-bound 21-year-old Halli cultivated a confidence in me I didn’t know was possible. Central American backpacking mother Michelle helped me appreciate simplicity. British entrepreneur Aysha was living proof that solo female travel is possible. Switzerland-based globetrotter Jeff helped me realize that materials cannot bring me any amount of happiness. I discovered how meaningful friendships can be. I found my inner shyness. And frankly, I realized that my body does not respond well to bug bites. These are the new qualities you gain from international travel – the moments that help you grow, conquer your fears, and conquer the world.

As descendants of nomadic people, moving and traveling have and will always be an essential part of my being. But traveling is more than the idea of being in a new environment – it’s the opportunity to grow. You’ll face challenges abroad that are incomparable to those encountered at home. You’ll challenge your limits by meeting non-English speakers. You’ll find yourself second-guessing your decisions as you climb 30-foot boulders in slippery Tevas.

Whether or not this illustrious country will make its way onto your bucket list, I have one recommendation for a full life: travel. At first, it will leave you speechless. Then, it will transform you into a storyteller.


The author's comments:

I always saw travel as a means to explore different cultures and environments; now, I understand that it is also a chance to grow and learn.