loca Explorare | Teen Ink

loca Explorare

March 30, 2015
By ares1 BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
ares1 BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Her imagination was by habit, ridiculously active . When the door was not open it jumped out of the window .


The scorching Delhi heat will surely  drive you crazy  and the right place to find refuge are the hills . The cool and calm environment will help your overworked mind reach serendipity.


So, last summer I had the opportunity to visit Shillong , the land of tranquillity . The journey started from Delhi , stopping at Guwahati and taking another plane to Silchar . By evening , we reached Silchar . We were taken aback by the greenery, all you could see were trees , shrubs , ferns and all kinds of flora  . After spending a few days there , we got acclimatised to the weather and the beautiful sunsets were a cherry on top  . The fresh sea food from the river  Barak  tantalised our taste buds. All in all our experience in Silchar was stunning , but our real destination was Shillong . On a very rainy day , we set off on an eight hour journey by road . In the beginning all we saw were rice crops stretched out for miles and miles . Right after we left silchar, we saw the Barak river with its two streams merging together , a coppery  brown into a captivating dun grey .Slowly , with rain barring the windows we reached the hills . The first impression was of tall , burly men , standing with their heads held high but interpreting it with more observation , I realised they resembled more like gentle caretakers of our country , the chartreuse and greige  colours  portraying a sense of caring and responsibility . We started climbing the hills and that is when the roller coaster started. “BUMP ! OUCH ! AAH ! ” was all I could hear for the next 1 hour . The roads were INSANE! There were uncountable ditches and pits , some even knee deep . With our digestive systems crumpled , we finally reached Shillong . Seeing it , I thought it was worth a hundred crumpled digestive systems , so it was worth the wait .


We reached in the evening, the rain had stopped and we had rabbits in our guesthouse. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable  but the real beauty yielded outside . Peach and apricot trees surrounded our guesthouse , with a trail leading into the cantt . We explored the cantt the first evening, met old friends and went for dinner. From the next day we pricked our explorer senses and set out . We visited elephant falls , 7 sister falls ,Bangladesh border, Shillong peak , but the main attraction was Cherrapunjee , the rainiest place on earth .Cherrapunjee was exactly a place where we would think gods lived . ‘Beautiful’ doesn’t define the marvel it is , if something is beyond the world, this is . The next three days went by , exporing , doing photography , eating all different kinds of  things and then finally crashing , dog tired .Finally our trip ended and we started back for delhi . The places i visited gave me a taste of the spectacle of nature which was a paragon in itself .


The author's comments:

This article inspires you to step out of the rut and explore , leave the cities for a while and experience nature in its full glory.