The Beach | Teen Ink

The Beach

March 11, 2015
By Meghan Dolly BRONZE, Elkins, West Virginia
Meghan Dolly BRONZE, Elkins, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has that one place where they go just to relax, and forget about the stresses of life. Some people go to the beach, they find it peaceful. Peace has to come from within, tapping into that inner peace can be challenging for some. Finding a place that brings about the feeling of serenity is priceless. 


The travel to the beach from where I live is a long drive that is well worth it. When you finally don’t see any mountain anymore, that’s when I start getting really excited. I immediately roll down my window, and take a deep breath of the salty air. It’s an incredible feeling, I feel like I don’t have a worry in the world. Once we finally got to the beach, I ran to the ocean, put my feet in the sand, and just took in the incredible views. After a long day of unpacking, we were worn out, we had our beach chairs and we all passed out.


A new day has begun, when the gentle breeze mixes with the ocean, it becomes the most relaxing feeling ever. When standing on the beach the ocean breeze hits and it tastes like salt water, there’s something about it that gives people a sense of ease about their life. Walking down the beach, looking out into the scenery, feeling the most relaxed you have ever been, especially when not a soul in on the beach.


Laying on the beach, soaking up the sunshine, feeling energized is also another reason why people go to the beach to enjoy their time away from their hectic lifestyle. The warmth of the sunshine on your skin penetrates and rejuvenates. It’s seriously hard to be stressed in an environment such as this.


The sound of the waves repeatedly thundering against the shore line, puts so much perspective into life. While sitting at the waters edge, focusing on the consistent motion of the tide it evokes a feeling of insignificance.  The worries and stress of everyday life seem to be carried out to sea with the undertow.  The waves can be mesmerizing and some say has the effects of a lullabies.


Just talking about the sights and sounds of the beach can bring the feelings of relaxation almost within reach.  Imagining the waves, the sand, the sun and the stress free feeling of sitting on the shore line gazing out at the horizon, indeed can lower the level on anxiety almost instantly.  Living in a world full of deadlines, pressures and stress, a place of peace and relaxation is crucial for mental health and general wellness.  


After the week was over we all were depressed about going back home to the cold weather, and no sun. We didn't want to leave the beautiful sunshine, the amazing views, or the tremendous breeze. Packing back up was the worst feeling ever, everything was so sandy, my clothes at the wonderful smell of the beach on them, I wish I didn't have to wash them. But we finally left and the vacation was over, now it’s time to get back to real life.