Overcoming Conflicts | Teen Ink

Overcoming Conflicts

By Andres Trevino BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas, Texas
Andres Trevino BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas, Texas

It was my family and I second time going on a cruise, the first cruise that we attended was the Oasis of the Seas. But this cruise was different from the first one. It was called Celebrity Solstice, not the same company of the seas. The difference between these two cruises was, on the first cruise that we went it visited the caribbean sea, and it was bigger. This cruise was more for older people and it was way fancier than the first one. The stop that was most attractive to me was the third stop. It took place in Juneau, Alaska. This stop was my favorite and the most important because my family and I were able to get on a glacier, it was a very fun experience. The glacier was very interesting, and shocking, it was 30 miles long but . It was impressive because the glacier had small rivers where the water was as blue as the beach in Hawaii. The glacier was very cold, my family and I noticed that there were some holes in the glaciers. The instructor told us that some of the holes were so deep that if you fall into the hole there would be no way to get out. While enjoying our first time in Alaska and in a glacier, the glacier was colder than where we actually were. This was a Thursday afternoon, where the sun was not shy to show itself. The tour to the glacier almost ran out of tickets.

In a summer day, my parents planned on going on a helicopter tour where we could have the experience on going on a glacier. How it all started off, we had to get on a bus. That bus took us to a small place where we got all our gear and got weigh. We had to weigh ourselves to make sure we were under 250 lbs to be able to ride the helicopter without any risks. After weighing ourselves we got our gear and got ready to get on the helicopter. we were so excited that we started taking pictures of ourselves with the helicopter behind us.

After we were all ready to get on the helicopter the pilot told us to start walking towards the helicopter and we noticed the yellow lines, the instructor told us to walk through the yellow lines that appeared painted on the floor in order to get to the helicopter. We got in and put our seat belts on. The pilot started the helicopter, I got some butterflies in my stomach because I was very excited. He gave us some headphones were you could talk through them, and hear what other people say. At first I was enjoying the ride, but there was one point were I started to get a little dizzy, so I tried on concentrating on different things. But that seem to not work as well as I expected to work, so I asked the pilot how much time we had till we got to the glacier. And he told me that approximately 5 minutes. That was a good sign because I could no longer wait.

After all the conflict that I had throughout  the helicopter, we finally landed in the glacier. I could no longer wait to be standing still in some place because I was so dizzy. We got off the helicopter and I felt the cold air like if it was winter. It was the best thing that could happen to me at that moment, because that distracting me from the dizziness. Suddenly I hear my sister “ Andres come over here.” I go where she was at, and I see a huge hole in the glacier. We asked the instructor how deep was it and he said “ pretty deep, if you fall in there there's no way to come out.” So I grabbed my sister and pulled her away from the whole, making sure she won’t fall. So then my family and I decided to take a picture of us next to the glacier. After all that my brother told me “ Hey Andres try the water, it’s so good” I grabbed the water with both of my hands trying to get a taste of the water. So I finally pulled my hands into my mouth and started drinking the water. It was as fresh as peppermint. I couldn’t believe it because it was cleaner than my clothes after washing them. But then the instructor caught our attention telling us that it was time to go. we were all sad and desperate because we didn’t want to leave. 

I believe this story is worth telling. The reason is I had a great experience and learned many new things during the helicopter ride. Standing on top of a giant gritty glacier was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. It was mind blowing that I was standing on a huge land of ice while moving with steep mountains, and gritty solid ice. Another reason why I believe this story was worth telling was because I thought it would interest people to be able to imagine the experience that I had going to Alaska as well as being on top of a glacier. To me, the importance about this experience was that my family and I were able to do something that maybe other people are not able to do. So I thank god and my parents on giving me that opportunity in life.

This piece was when I went on a cruise in alaska, it was my first time on a glacier, and my seconf time on a cruise.