The Nine Days and Nine Nights | Teen Ink

The Nine Days and Nine Nights

Red, green, yellow, blue, colors whirl around me, enchanting me from every corner. Music fills the atmosphere adding excitement and celebration in the air. The room radiates energy and joy from the hundreds of colorfully dressed people. A young girl twirls past me along with several others following. All through an elaborate pattern of synchronized steps, they seem as if they are flying through the air. Struggling to keep up with the rhythm, small girls with intricately beaded dresses dance around the middle. The women and men encircle the outside, moving their feet in unison with their arms, effortlessly to a simple yet highly complex mathematical set. The whole room seemed to be orbiting in a counter clockwise fashion around a light in the center of the universe, emitting an invisible attractive force.

Suddenly, the music stops. The line of energy is broken, but it is replaced with a calming silence that slowly engulfs us as the talking dies down. My friend grabs my arm. "Come on!" she says. As I hold up my long skirt up, we push through the crowd to get a better look. There, lying in the center of the universe was the Goddess. Elegant and fierce, the idol embodied the tenderness of a mother along with the strength of a bear. Adorned with gold jewelry and a red sari, Durga fiercely sat upon her lion as she majestically spun. Soon, the music started up again, but in a different aroma. Bells rang and clapping began as the crowed started chanting the sacred words. Little girls and boys lined up to get an up close glimpse of the enchanting Goddess, and to pay tribute to her. One by one the children held the decorative tray containing flowers, a candle, and fruit. As the invocational music surrounded my soul and the incense filled the air, I stared into the elegant eyes of Ma Durga and fell into a trance.

I was taken to a much younger period in my life. When my mother use to sit with me and elaborately explain the origins of our customs. I recalled the time when she narrated the epic battle between Durga and Mahisha. For nine days and nine nights, the Goddess Durga fought with the bull headed demon Mahisha. Finally, on the tenth day, also known as Dussehra, the Goddess beheaded the bull, conquering evil. Born from this battle is Navratri, also known as the celebration of good over evil. Typically celebrated in early October, it is a joyous occasion where the community comes together and dances in praise of Durga also known as Devi or Shakti.

As the song came to an end, I awake from my flashback. I find myself in a mob of people pushing and shoving to be the first to get their sticks. My adamant friend aggressively gets to the front and hands me a pair of green sticks with red and gold lines. We both run over to our  group of friends and pair up. As I stand facing my friend, energy shoots through my arms awaiting the sound of music. At last, it strikes like lightening as the room fills with magic. It starts at a slow, easing pace, but soon culminates into a vigorous melody. Feet patter the ground and sticks strike sounding the beat. As one body, we dance, soaring with our wands as everyone is held together by an invisible force. The energy, the bliss, the praise, enlivens the atmosphere. Until the night reaches its peak, we simply dance.

Ever since I can remember, my family and I have always taken part in the festival of Navratri. My mom and I will spend hours together getting out dresses and picking matching bangles, as my dad rushes to get us out the door. Not only has it brought special memories within our family, but it also has brought us closer with our community. Every late September or early October, we come together with our family, friends, and loved ones to dance into the night while we celebrate and cherish the success of Durga. To me, these days are a reminder of the Shakti (power), also known as Durga, that lives within us, yet lies all around us, pulling us to the light, and making us one. We can use this power or energy to climb to the highest peaks, or fall into the darkness. This holiday specifically reminds me that when we come together in harmony, we create an insurmountable energy, an unseen force that is awakened through the art of dance. With this force, the impossible becomes possible.

This narrative essay tells the tale of the festival of Navratri through my eyes.