Different Types of Arizonans | Teen Ink

Different Types of Arizonans

December 7, 2014
By erin griffon BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
erin griffon BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Arizona with its nature and beauty is diverse in its culture and people you will find that with its diversity in people many fit into categories With Arizona’s unique location, Mexico being south, California being west, Utah being north, and Texas being east, the Arizonan culture is a blend of its surroundings.  Although as people we don’t like to see ourselves fit into categories but as we live in one place we often conform to different characteristics that town or city.  Arizona has a great deal of people who fit into different classifications.  Out of all classifications that people from Arizona can be put into the most common you will find are the wanna bes, the cold-blooded, and the never seen.     

Wanna Bes:

These Arizonans fill our ears with their endless chatter about how they would fit in so well with a group of people from some different part of the United States, but in reality they have never traveled any farther than the California coast.  For example these people at any chance they have, they will make it apparent that what they are wearing and what they know is how that culture is.  Wanna bes have a stereotypical idea of how the certain culture is (except cowboy boots and a thick accent is not what a southern person actually acts like).  Many Arizonans are lone wolves but these people travel in packs containing four or five others who share their obsession.  Lurking, prowling, hunting for their next victim to have to endure their never ending rants about how great it would be to live in any other state than Arizona.  They do not only talk in groups but also go to concerts, and hang out, and shop.  Those who fit into this category don’t always know that they fit into this; they just naturally want to be different.  Those who say they have always dressed like this or talked like this but all of a sudden they started this today.

Cold Blooded:

            Sweater, jacket, parka give these people anything to keep them warm after September.  When the temperature drops below 70 degrees the chattering of the teeth and the rubbing of their arms to keep themselves warm.  Finding these people are not hard when living in a place that the weather never really reaches less than 50 degrees. They prosper in the sun, absorbing its warmth hoping one day the bright shinning sun will return.  They fear any month after October and they will go outside as little as possible.  Finding a heating system inside is much more tempting.  If it is a necessary to bear the coldness of the outside world you will most likely see them with a sweatshirt, jeans, close toed shoe, which is a must, and a brisk jog to where ever they need to get to.   Most like a snake they lay out bathing in the rays of sunshine but nowhere to be found come winter.  Complain they do, all about the months to come and how that is the reason that they moved here or that is the reason they stay here was to escape the cold weather.  As if they did not know that Arizona had winters.  Although they are not the worst kind of Arizonan, come winter they hold that spot for three months.

Never Seen:

            These people are quite peculiar.  They hide among us and never are seen.  With the weather in the summer being so hot that even life cannot sustain its self no wonder these people never come out.  They seem to be a mix of cold blooded too because even in the winter you never see them outside.  The shades of their houses are always drawn and the lights never flicker on and off yet you never have seen the “for sale” sign swaying in the dry wind.  Wondering if they were killed by some crazy ax murder since the stillness of the house leaves an ominous feeling in your gut but the only thing that does not have your mind wander to far into this is the occasional car in the drive way or if you catch them early enough you may catch a glimpse of them leaving for work.  They never come to the block parties or the get togethers with other neighbors but the invitations are received because the little pieces of paper stuck to the door are always gone within a day.  It seems weird that they would live in such a beautiful place that has great falls and winters, not so much the summers yet never go outside.  These Arizonans are the peaceful ones since you never really meet them and they make great neighbors since you never have to complain about noise or their dog barking, they make Arizona a more peaceful place.

Scottsdaleians

            You can spot them from a mile away prancing around in their high fashion clothes and purses.  They look at you with their pinched mouths judging you as you walk past.  Even though they only live in the next town over they look at you with entitlement as if you were a peasant.  Now the Scottsdaleians seem to only apply to 55 and 60 year olds.  Their soft elderly skin masked by countless face-lifts and the very noticeable pounds of makeup.  They make up a very small portion of the Arizonans but they do pack a punch in the culture here.