Indonesian Culture | Teen Ink

Indonesian Culture

By Tyler-A-Swift BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii
Tyler-A-Swift BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii

Out of the water, I am nothing- Duke Kahanamoku

What do you really know about Indonesia? Probably not much. Indonesia is not really a place that most Americans even give a second thought to - unless they’re surfers! Anyone who is into surfing knows that Indonesia has some of the most incredible surf in the world, but even they probably don’t know much else about this wonderful destination.. In studying about my dream surf vacation spot, I learned quite a lot about this amazing hidden gem. This chain of islands holds hundreds of white sand beaches as well as reefs flourishing with beautiful fish along with incredible sights. The beautiful beaches combined with the rich cultural traditions of this beautiful tropical paradise make it a must see destination for anyone who is into world travel!
Indonesia is between the Australian and Asian continental mainland and divides the Pacific and Indian Oceans at the equator. It is an archipelago composed of 13,670 islands, of which more than 7,000 are uninhabited.3 Its inhabitants enjoy temperatures ranging …..
Indonesia is a melting pot of religions. The majority of people are Muslim, happily living alongside Christians, Hindus, and Buddhists. Indonesia has the largest Muslim population of any nation. In 1990 the population was reported to be eighty-seven percent Muslim.3 In 2014 the percent of Muslims is still the same. There is a well-educated Christian minority with about twice as many Protestants as Catholics. The Balinese still follow a form of Hinduism. Mystical cults are well established among the Javanese elite and middle class, and members of many ethnic groups still follow traditional belief systems. Officially, the government recognizes the religious system, “Agama” to include Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, and Buddhism.3
There are many kinds of languages that run through Indonesia. The people’s  first language is usually Javanese or Minangkabau, which are repeatedly mistaken for  the official languages of Indonesia. Some of the common words like salam or hello or maybe sorry (maaf). The official language is indeed Bahasa Indonesian and is particularly  spoken at work and schools. This language is from the dialect of Malay and was promoted during the declaration of Indonesian independence.3
Music, dance, and theatre play a very big role in the culture of Indonesia.  The traditional music of Central Java, East Java and Bali is Gamelan, which is played with mostly percussive instruments. Since the uprising of pop music, Gamelan music has been less popular. Indonesian dance reflects the diversity of the culture. The dances of Indonesia can be divided into three eras: the Prehistoric Era, Hindu/Buddhist Era, and the Era of Islam.3 There are also two genres which are court dance and folk dance. One of the popular line dances, called “Poco-poco”, originated in Indonesia. Theatre is a very vibrant subject in Indonesia. One of the very common ways to project many mythical legends is puppet shows. Many of these dramas incorporate humor and jest.

The most recent crisis in Indonesia is the fact that Indonesia's economy is growing at an astonishing rate of seven percent.4 The government is worried about the food and energy security. The reason is because the food and energy consumption is far too great for the economy to keep a steady pace. Another crisis is the way the government has been budgeting their money. They are worried that because of the poor budgeting of money the government will not be able to keep up with the seven percent economic growth rate.
The three major sectors of Indonesia's economy are agriculture, manufacturing, and services. The major crops Indonesia produces are rice, tea coffee, cocoa, spices, rubber, peanuts, eggs, pork, and palm oil. These crops definitely impact how Indonesian cuisine is.  Rice is a staple element in most regional cooking and the center of general Indonesian cuisine. As well as the main fare with meat, fish, eggs, and vegetables acting as the side dishes. Chilly peppers and other spices are ingredients for a variety of condiments used for rice.
  The manufacturing section produces petroleum, natural gas, wood, leather as well as paper and printing products. The last section being services such as hospitality and tourism. The currency in Indonesia is a Rupiah, one US dollar is equivalent to 12214.99 Rupiah.
All in all Indonesia is a beautiful place full of interesting sights, foods, languages, and everything in between. Whether you go there for surfing or enjoying the culture theres no way you wont have a good time.

I love to surf and would like to travel there one day beacause the surf there is like no other. So figured Why not learn more ended up loving it even more