Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Proud to be an American

November 10, 2014
By madtown3 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
madtown3 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve traveled out of the country many times, but the first time I left the country was the scariest. I had just graduated middle school and my whole soccer team went to Spain. I went on a shopping trip for clothes to make me look like I belonged in Spain. I also did a ton of research on what to wear, how to talk, and what to eat, so I didn’t look like such an outsider. But when I got there, I realized nothing I could’ve done would’ve made me look like I belonged--because I clearly didn’t.


This is when I realized I was proud to be an American. America is the most diverse, unique, and welcoming place I have ever been. When people come to visit America, they don’t go out and spend $1,000 to look like they belong here because no matter what they look like, what they are wearing, or how they speak, everyone looks like they belong here.


America has every race, language, religion, food, and type of clothing… My point is this: anyone who visits America, belongs in America.


So, next time I think I need to change who I am when I visit a different country, I won’t. Because I’m proud to be from America and I’m proud that I don’t need to change who I am.