Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

November 10, 2014
By morgnrtl19 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
morgnrtl19 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

From East to West Coast and everywhere in between, The United States has different trends and regulations.  In Wisconsin, saying the word cannabis would raise eyebrows.  However, in many Coastal States, this word is accepted, and even welcomed.  I am proud to belong to The United States--a country where a substance once outlawed can be reevaluated and used medicinally.


The United States is one of few countries to start the legalization process of marijuana and many states within, allow cannabis to be used for medical purposes only.  This newly legalized medicine is a breakthrough in the health field. and many of its users have become marijuana’s biggest advocates.  America runs off of innovative ideas, and I am proud to live in a country where these idea’s are brought to life.


One well known illness that marijuana can help with is cancer.  According to Suzanne Miller, the director of behavioral medicine at Fox Chase Cancer Center, “Many cases show that medical marijuana helps with reducing spasms, pain, fatigue, nausea, and improving mood and stimulating appetite.”   


If a person wants the effects of marijuana with guaranteeing no harm to their lungs, they should consider edibles--the largest growing industry for non-smokers.  This booming market works by safely infusing cannabis into tasty treats such as pizza, cookies, and chocolate.   For many people who are sick, consuming a controlled dosage of edibles can deliver a long lasting therapeutic feeling that doesn’t give them the high.  Many edible shops are popping up in states where cannabis is legal.  Not only is this booming market providing more jobs in The United States, but it is also allowing entrepreneurs to thrive.  It is rewarding to know that I live in a country where dreams are attainable if hard work is applied.         


America was built off the rights of the citizens over two centuries ago; however, we are not stuck in the past.  Our ability to overlook marijuana’s misconceptions may open other countries eyes to see the benefits of this plant.  We are role models.  We are leaders.  We are The United States of America.