Why I Am Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I Am Proud to be an American

By jarfisherg GOLD, Pewuakee, Wisconsin
jarfisherg GOLD, Pewuakee, Wisconsin

With a pocket full of money and a spirit full of pride, my grandfather stepped on the soil of America as a nineteen year old. Possessing a distinct fire in his eyes, he set forth on his own road that quenched his burning desires. He built up his fortune with hard work and ethics as a chipper in Brady Foundry... When I learned of his story, it gave me an enchanted feeling. I stand on the same land of opportunity as he once did. I think this is most likely the same feeling he had when he stepped in this land for his first time.

A true gentleman, my grandfather got married and had children. Coming home draped in dirt, he saw the opportunity to retire better than anyone else. The first step in his plan to buy a dream home: a farm. After 25 years of being paid by piece work in the Brady Foundry he was finally ready. With his earnings, he bought his farm and marked his spot as a proud American. Seeing the tranquility my grandfather gained created my own fire to one day be a proud American with my hardwork and sacrifice crowned.

When my grandfather took his leap onto this land, it was his own moon landing. A feeling rushed through his body as it does mine presently. With his pocket full of money and his spirit full of pride, he thwarted his desires to be part of a burgeoning nation. My grandfather came and conquered with his hard work and ethics in a time of prosperity in the land of oppurtunity. He traveled down his road and now it is time I travel down mine. This ability to travel down my own road is why I am proud to be an American...

Good story of classic American civilian growth