Traveling is Essential to LIfe | Teen Ink

Traveling is Essential to LIfe

By karxkar BRONZE, Homer Glen, Illinois
karxkar BRONZE, Homer Glen, Illinois

The trip that I will never forget is when I went to Italy. I remember walking around Rome and thinking how beautiful the city is. It was something so different that you don’t see in the United States. It had so many old ruins and that’s what made is such a great city. You can imagine how people lived there years ago and now how the new generations adapted to the city. It’s awesome to see the new side of the city that is very modern and built not long ago, and then you go to see things, such as the Colosseum. You realize how old these sites actually are. I remember one day, during the week long trip, we took a bus to a town called, Assisi. It was such a breathtaking town, something that you only see in movies.

The one thing that I won’t forget from that trip happened when we were driving back to our hotel. Everyone was exhausted from the long trip, but in the back, there was a lady in our group who had the biggest smile on her face. She kept looking back at the town as it got smaller and smaller. She was taking so many pictures. She finally sat down and began saying how going to this town was the best thing ever. She began talking and saying how where she grew up in Poland there was a Franciscan monastery next to her home. The monks that lived there took the children on trips, helped with important problems and treated them like their own kids. She said how going to Assisi reminded her of her childhood home. The narrow stone roads, the kind people living there, and the breath-taking Basilica of San Francesco D’Assisi, brought her back to a great part of her life. She told us that she would never forget this place because for those couple hours that we were there, it felt like she was a little kid again walking the streets of her hometown. Before that day, I had never seen someone so ecstatic about anything like that. It’s insane how a simple thing can mean so much to another person.

Traveling to different places gives you the ability to make connections to your own life. It can bring back the most precious memories. It helps you become the person you want to be. Going to different places and seeing new things, opens up your mind. You acquire a lot more knowledge after going on a trip to a place you have never been to before.

I believe traveling is essential to living a good life. There is something about seeing new things, meeting new people, and experiencing new challenges that makes me want to travel every day. When I get on an airplane or in the car, that is already an adventure to me. You see new faces and you wonder where they are going to. During those flights or car rides, you imagine what your destination is going to be like. You imagine the places you will go to and the problems you will face.

When I leave my home to go to a new place, there is this excitement that I feel. You get to experience a new culture and a new world. I always listen to the language spoken there and it amazes me how beautiful each language is. It is astonishing how many different languages there are. It’s really imposing that all languages are different, but they always have some type of similarity. I believe in meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, accepting new ideas, and being the person you want to be.

The "This I Believe" essays inspired me to make my own.