Indian Stereotypes

Let us assume you are all Indians. These are some rules you may have to follow.

1. Never cut your hair on a Tuesday. (This is because Indians call Tuesday as "Mangalavaram," which means "Barber's Day". Barbers do not open their shops on a Tuesday in India.)

2.Never cut your nails in the house. (Indians believe nails carry germs and diseases, so dropping your nail scraps in the house would bring bad luck to your house and family.)

3. Never sneeze before going out to school or work when you step outside your doorstep. (This is because when you sneeze, you are bringing yourself a "sick" omen to the workplace or school you are going to. This would bring bad luck to how well you do at work or school.)

4. Always leave your sandals outside before stepping inside a fellow Indian's house. (Sandals carry germs and bacteria, and so if you bring these sandals into your house, you are bringing "bad luck" into your household.)

5. Never wear black clothing to a family member's party. (Black is considered a "bad luck" color in our culture, and so you should wear "white" instead.)

shivraj said...
Jul. 29 at 1:55 am
Vivek nice article! Good work in compiling these points. And they indeed are true which are followed in all Indian households. Let me add a couple more ...we are discouraged sitting with palm of our hands put against the forehead. It is said that the mom will get into trouble because of this. Another one ...do not eat fish along with milk products ..it can cause skin diseases. One more ..while leaving we should never just say bye ...we should say we are leaving and coming back soon. :) Anyways... (more »)

VivekPokala replied...
Jul. 29 at 10:17 am
Thank You Uncle!

VivekPokala said...
Jul. 28 at 3:29 pm
This is my first article btw! Advice would be great!