The Wong Songkran | Teen Ink

The Wong Songkran

May 14, 2014
By John Wongratanamajcha BRONZE, San Sai, Other
John Wongratanamajcha BRONZE, San Sai, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The odor was dreadful. The stench of muddy waters could be smelled from a mile away! Children were sweating all over the well-paved roads and small vendors were open, because many customers meant good cash. The streets were packed with blaring cars, impatient to get out of the road. My mom beside me was looking frantically left and right as if anticipating a car would come crashing through. We were in one of the most crowded places in Chiang Mai. It was on April 13 when we decided to take a tour around the moat. The moat is basically channels of water being connected in a shape of a square with many stores and houses built near the outskirts. Many stores were closed, yet some places took the risk of getting drenched in water. I had my gun loaded with water and carried a couple of water balloons. I was ready to soak people.

It was around 1 o’clock when we reached our destination. Water was flying everywhere. Many people used buckets and others used water guns, but something that got my attention was a fire truck soaking the crowd with water. Many tourists were walking by, slowly being sprayed with H2O. Not a single person was dry. I pumped and pumped waiting for a chance to spray someone, but I couldn’t find a single prey that was unaware of my presence. My older brother was already having a blast as he launched his icy cold buckets of water (which he got from a store nearby since many stores were packed with guns, “ammunition”, etc.) towards the crowd. My mother kept on telling me to start squirting people, but I felt weak and small. I didn’t feel like doing something to these wet people. I just couldn’t bring myself to the fact that this was only for fun. Slowly closing my eyes, I grabbed a water balloon and hurled it into the air. A big splash could be heard a few feet away and some people were screaming. I opened my eyes and realized that this wasn’t so bad. I had to get more people.

At 3 o’clock I was bloodthirsty... I mean hungry! My parents managed to find a shop which was selling some noodles with red curry. The curry itself was filled in with spices, chicken, herbs and most importantly blood. This blood however wasn’t a type of liquid that you would imagine coming from an animal, but more of coagulated pig’s blood. In other words, this “blood” is basically cooked and steamed for a while until they harden and become solid shaped but soon after, people take it out and let it soften. The textures of the blood is very tender and smooth. The enriched flavors of one of the greatest dishes in Northern Thailand were not to be missed out on. In this belief I ordered two more bowls and started my way back into the open.

After many harsh hours being back into the “wilderness”, it was almost time to go. Many people started leaving the moat, and the roads were left unattended. The pavements were filled with puddles of water, small chunks of ice, leftover foods, and little pieces of balloons everywhere. It was around 6 when barely anybody could be seen. Many storekeepers were busy sweeping away the rubble that I just felt the urge to surprise them. Grabbing my gun and the remainder of my water balloons I walked over to the nearest lady and chucked both of my balloons and started spraying her. Good thing she wasn’t even mad at me, but just smiled and grabbed a bucket of water…

I was on my way home covered from head to toe with water. The wind was brushing past me and I felt a shiver run down the back of my spine. I do recall having one of the greatest times in my life since I had a time to experience the Thai culture that many people throughout the world are dying to see! I do hope I will be doing this again next year and the many years following it.