Traveling | Teen Ink

Traveling

By JohnR067 BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia
JohnR067 BRONZE, Lilburn, Georgia

As a teen from Georgia, I haven’t personally traveled anywhere out of the Southeast, but where I have been in the Southeast, I’ve had a blast! I’ve been all over Florida and Georgia, and I’ve been to Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, and even North Carolina.

Every time I visit a new place, I always take some kind of tour to learn a little more about the town’s history. Most recently, I visited Chattanooga, Tennessee, and while I was there, I went on two separate tours. One explained its history in the civil war, while the other explained a more modern history of the town. The tour explaining Chattanooga was really interesting because apparently, some Union soldiers were trying to steal a train from the Confederates, so the Confederates chased the Union all the way to Texas! This great train chase was later called, “The Great Locomotive Chase”. Disney even made a movie about it! The modern tour was really cool also because they took us from the road to the Savannah River on this amphibious truck. The tour guide showed us this big draw bridge, the Moonpie Factory (one of Chattanooga’s most famous facilities), this really cool house that this millionaire abstract artist lived in, and this HUMUNGOUS bank made almost entirely of glass. He explained Chattanooga’s industry and why its industries were ideal for that specific town.

I’ve also been to a town in South Carolina called Charleston. It was one of the most amazing experience’s I’ve had in my life! I went on this aircraft carrier called the U.S.S Yorktown and learned all about how Charleston was a major port for the military during World War 2. In addition to learning about Charleston’s port status, I also learned about all the aircraft they kept on the ship. There were fighter jets, helicopters, rescue planes, and they even kept tanks on board for cargo helicopters to drop off at shore. That tour was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

There was another time that I went to this little place in Florida called St. Augustine. The tour I went on while I was there wasn’t necessarily your average tour; it was a ghost tour! They showed you all of the haunted buildings in St. Augustine from the lighthouse that was there to the fort where hundreds of Spaniards were killed while defending it. This tour wasn’t as believable as the other tours I had been on, but our tour guide definitely told us some great stories about what had happened to him while he was giving this tour to other people, and it most certainly raised some questions in my mind.

To conclude my story about the way I travel, I would like to say that touring is not the only thing I do when I go on vacation- of course I go to the beach, eat ice cream, or go to the water park- but it is definitely the most enjoyably part of vacationing for me.