Christmas In India This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What is Christmas like in ­India? Many think India is an all-Hindu country, but it’s not. The country has 32,000 Christians – about two percent of its population.

I remember Christmases when I lived there. We spent Christmas Eve preparing for the next day. The women got an early start cooking, and the children would decorate the house. But long before, people started preparing in other ways.

I lived near a famous church that constructed a ­different nativity each year, all of which were huge and looked amazing and realistic. My landlord’s daughter and I would create a unique nativity of our own. For my last Christmas in India, I planted wheat seeds, and by Christmas, we had ­perfect fields. We made a shed for the holy family and the rest of the nativity and cut paths in the wheat to make our nativity look realistic.

Almost all Christian homes in India put up a star, which is one thing you won’t find in America. Some also string lights. We had a huge jackfruit tree in our front lawn that we deco­rated. Once we glued white ­styrofoam balls to the tree, pretending they were snow. One of the pastors saw our creation and congratulated us. Other people made Christmas trees too.

But the best part of Christmas was Christmas Eve. Carolers came by and we gave out plum cakes, which most families in India exchange on Christmas. Of course, parents, children, and siblings ­exchange other gifts too, but you give plum cakes to other families.

Everyone went to midnight Mass wearing new clothes. In our church, we would walk around the neighborhood with candles. Many people lit fireworks as the church-goers passed by. The Mass was long but worth it.

Christmas in India was very ­different from in the U.S. There everyone worked together to make the season magical. Christmas brings joy to all; it is a holiday that I look forward to every year. Sometimes I wish I could go back to India to celebrate, ­because it brought us all close ­together and made some wonderful memories.

BrandybuckTookThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'm Indian and I'm part of that 2% Christian population. I am Christian Indian! You've captured Indian Christmases well. We put up Christmas trees and stuff.

grey_jeans99 said...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 7:42 am
I think u did a really great job. Very clear, simple and crisp. Now that there are so many malls in India, I think the real charm lies in the lit up streets and as you said the star on Christian homes, big or small. Keep it up!

mightierthanthesword said...
Cool! Good job writing. It was descriptive, precise in wording, and very informative. Keep writing!

sunshine04 said...
Sept. 15, 2011 at 2:13 am
 i am an indian too not a christian it was unique and  good

soldout said...
I'm Indian and although I'm not Christian, I found this interesting. You're lucky to have experienced something so unique!

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

No snow in India...

it's interesting to see how different cultures practice the same holiday. I wonder what's a plum cake...

indian said...
good job! 

VivaSarcasm said...
This is very interesting! Good work!

kmathew This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thank you :)

IamtheshyStargirl said...
This id awesome :) I loved reading about all the ways that made Christmas in India different from how it is in America, thank you for writing this, I am very glad that it got published in the magazine :)

thank you :)

prettydotty said...
May 3, 2011 at 6:15 am
hey where i mean in which state u lived????

May 3, 2011 at 9:11 am
I lived in Kerala.

sweetxluv said...

thank u , thank u , for wtiring this .............now i know more about india..and the chirstmas epxerience........i'm indian too......

this was well written article .....luved it !

Gigantron said...
This was an interesting read. I've always loved learning about how different cultures celebrate major holidays, like Christmas. It was certainly a good read to take my mind off of the stress that most Americans (me included) undergo during the holiday season. :)

Jsullivan said...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 7:29 am
Thanks for writting this! It definetly changed my point of veiw as to what your culture was like.

Jsullivan replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 7:31 am
excuse my spelling errors. :p

Karamel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really interesting! I love learning about different cultures, but hearing about the U.S.'s traditions in a different country is a new way of explaining things. If I were you, I would add a few more sensory details, like smell and taste, but other than that, it's perfect! 

IlovemeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 11:00 am
I am an Indian,glad you wrote this article. People now know we celebrate Christmas too. Its getting bigger and bigger each year!

TheQueenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Yes! I am too and I agree! Even though I am hindu we still celebrate Christmas (or the gift part of it anyway!) and all my american friends can't believe it!