The Little Apple | Teen Ink

The Little Apple

May 7, 2013
By JNasty BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
JNasty BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have been to many glorious places on this earth but none more amazing than Manhattan, Kansas. It is a midsize city located northeast of Junction City. Manhattan is often referred to as The Little Apple since Manhattan, New York is The Big Apple. This energetic place is a college town, home to the Kansas State Wildcats, my favorite college. I have been here countless times, mainly for football games, but those are not my only memories in the town of purple.

Downtown Manhattan is called Aggieville because of its college heritage. On weekends walking around the extremely loud bustle of the students going from restaurant to restaurant and bar to bar is louder than expected. Aggieville is also home to my favorite pizza place ever, Doughboy’s. After that first step in the door, the smell of delicious cheese and pizza sauce attacks nostrils with pure delight. The 28” pizza challenge is quite a sight, which many have tried but none have succeeded.

Directly west of Aggieville is Bramlage Coliseum, where K-State plays basketball. I have only been to one game, but I was in the cramped student section, where everyone is like family, ready to support the basketball team. As soon as the opponents grab the ball the place fills with thunderous roars. The energy in the atmosphere is fierce, and everyone is jumping up and down on the bleachers. The Octagon of Doom, a nickname for Bramlage Coliseum, is a welcoming place to K-Staters but frightening to the opposing team.

Last but not least is Manhattan’s pride and joy, Bill Snyder Family Stadium, right next to Bramlage. Here is where the Wildcats play football and went undefeated at home in the 2012-2013 season including a Big XII championship. It all starts as soon as tailgating crews pull into the lot five hours before the game. The sweet aroma of grills and barbecue fills the air and leaves you tasting and smelling greatness. About an hour before kick off, everyone rushes to the stadium and it suddenly gets warmer. When everyone gets in their seats and the first play of the game starts, the place is absolutely electric. All the cheers for Collin Klein and boos toward the opponent can be heard from a mile away. We are all one big happy family focused on one goal; winning.

Manhattan’s people, sights, and traditions are what make it my favorite place in the whole world. I have not been to many other states and seen many things, but I am 100% sure nothing would ever compete with The Little Apple. That is my true home, and where I plan to live after high school. Everyone is welcoming and friendly, as long as you are a Wildcat. For me it is where friends become family and dreams will turn into reality.