If I . . . | Teen Ink

If I . . .

By annacatherine1 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
annacatherine1 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

If I only knew what to write about, then I could have a powerful piece. If I wasn't afraid to truly be myself, then maybe I would know who I am. If I wanted people to read this I wouldn't get nervous or anxious when people glance back at my paper. I'm not hiding anything, I'm just afraid of being judged. Just like if you, my teacher, being the most open and welcoming person I know, read this, I would be horrified. All my life I've been told I'm a good writer. What if I'm truly not? Then will people question why I'm in this class? That's where the not knowing falls into place. I have no idea who I am, who I should be, or who I even want to be. Then I can't help but wonder... are THESE the "teenage" questions we should be asking ourselves? Or should we just automatically know? Automatically know our cliques we should be in, automatically know where we belong.I honestly don't think anyone truly ever finds out where they belong in this world and who they truly are. We all know what interests we have and we all know our traits and hobbies. But with all of our different emotions, different actions, mind sets and just the different types of people we can be. We are not just one type of person. We are not all figured out. Especially in high school. The jock, the nerd, the popular guy, the popular girl, the hipster, the rocker, etc. Why do we all have to be stereotyped? I know I want to be different things each day and a different mood, all alone with one thing. My style, my clothing. So I guess I do know that I'm a happy positive person with goals and priorities, and with friends and family who love and care about me. That's all that truly matters.

The day I wrote this piece, I was feeling very unsure of who my TRUE friends were, and I was feeling very unsure of who I was and where I fit in. So writing a piece like this can show people and show teenagers my age that they probably have all the same feelings I do, and we aren't alone and we will get through it. After all, this is just high school.