Mazatlan, Sinaloa | Teen Ink

Mazatlan, Sinaloa

September 14, 2012
By Yomira BRONZE, Grandview, Missouri
Yomira BRONZE, Grandview, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My favorite place to go is Mexico, to be exact Mazatlan, Sinaloa where I was born. I was born and raised there until the age of 10. Mazatlan is a city in the Mexican state of Sinaloa located on the Pacific coast, across from the southernmost tip of the Baja California peninsula. Mazatlan is a Nahuatl word meaning “place of deer”. It is also a popular tourist destination with its beautiful beaches lined with resort hotels. One of the most historical beaches is Olas Altas located in the southern part of the city. Mazatlan’s Malecon is one of the longest in the world, a promenade that skirts the beaches of Mazatlan for nearly twenty-one kilometers. Along it, you can find cliffs, monuments, gazebos, old buildings, hotels, shops, bars, sculpture, and street vendors. Monuments such as The Shield, which contains the coats of Sinaloa and Mazatlan, El Venado, a statue of a deer with reference to the etymology of the name of the city and Women Mazatleca Monument. The beaches are divided into nine sections: Puntilla “Ferry Pier”, Lighthouse, Centennial, Olas Altas, Claussen, Avenida del Mar, Shrimp- Chad, and Cerritos. Along with many beautiful islands such as Bird Island, Deer Island, Creston Island, and Goat Island that are fun to visit. Each year the city celebrates the Carnival on the same dates as in the rest of the world: forty days before Easter. Overall Mazatlan, Sinaloa is a beautiful and fun place to visit with your love ones.