Tropical Beach | Teen Ink

Tropical Beach

August 27, 2012
By Sophie09a SILVER, Tonbridge, Other
Sophie09a SILVER, Tonbridge, Other
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A girl should be two things; classy and fabulous"- Coco Chanel


Picture this: you're on the beach. You can feel the warm sand in between your toes as you point and flex them to dig them deeper into the sand and get to the cool, damp layer untouched by sunlight in attempt to cool down a little. You need to be cooled after sleeping or perhaps reading in the midday sun for half an hour (with a high SPF on of course.) The sun makes you sleepy. It is burning down, making everything near almost unbearable to touch. You need to be cooled and of course the best way to do that is to step into the beautiful blue sea. It shimmers and gleams iridescently; invitingly. You dip a green painted toe nail into the sea foam as the tide comes in which sends a little shiver through your body but it is a fabulous sensation. The sea is cold but refreshingly so. Another step forwards and the waves crash into you; splashing to above your knees. You let out a small squeal as the cold water runs down your legs. You stand for a while; more monstrous waves battle towards you. But these monsters do not want to swallow you up and eat you although you know that they are perfectly capable of doing so. They are playful; jumping up at your knees like a puppy. But they tease you also. They tease you with the delights that you'll face if you dive in and fully immerse yourself in the pleasures that it has to offer. The only sounds from the sea are the crashing against rocks that surround the small cove accompanied by its steady breathing as the tide comes in and out. But really it shouts "come in, come in!" and other such biased advertising. After much consideration and pondering occurs you dive in and fight back; crashing into the waves as they crash into you. The water is cold at first but it soon gets warmer as you bob along; riding the waves with your body. You turn onto your back and just float as the waves keep rolling beneath you. Your green cat eye sunglasses allow you to look directly up at the cloudless blue sky. The sea and the sky; so similar in colour yet worlds apart. How small does that make you? You imagine that you are something else small in a very big place. Perhaps you could be one small chocolate in a big box with a blue lid. You wake from the daydream when a tremendous wave rolls underneath you. You float over it then stand up in the salty water. You stand and look back at the small busy beach; back to the fluttering umbrellas and the stationary sunbeds; back to where the palm trees sway like people. The sea air blows through your now wet hair. You'll need to wash that later, although salty water is good for curly hair. Looking to the shore you see your travel partner (friend/boyfriend/girlfriend/mum/dad/brother/sister/husband/wife/colleague/daughter/son/grandma/granddad) wave to you and you start to swim with the waves back to the sand.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece whilst on the beach on holiday in Portugal earlier this month.