The Big Apple: New York City | Teen Ink

The Big Apple: New York City

By Virtue19 GOLD, Jamaica, New York
Virtue19 GOLD, Jamaica, New York

"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same," Jonathan Davis

I love New York City. The people, the sights, the sounds, it is all more than what I can ask for. To simply put it, I am grateful. And, I am absolutely ready to share with you the wonders of this remarkable city that I call home.

There are several reasons why I love New York City. For example, there is always a community that will make you feel at home. If someone prefers suburban life, Staten Island would be a perfect choice. Those who wish for some noise yet still prefer quiet may choose to live in Brooklyn, Bronx, or Queens. And, those who live for noise and lights may favor Manhattan. To add on, which city can possibly give a better welcome than New York City? Carrying a torch, the Statue of Liberty lights the path for all. Not only is it our city’s pride. It is our country’s pride, representing all that we stand for: peace, liberty, and justice. And, the hospitality that the majority of people display is heart touching. We all may be a bit loud and in a rush. However, we love our city and are eager to help others out. Just the other day when I had gotten lost wandering through the winding streets of Manhattan, a kind woman allowed me to borrow her cell phone to call my parents. To go even further, she bought me a bag of chips with her own money. Yet, what I find to be the most appealing feature of this city is its rich mix of people. Just going to school, I can see practically all races just about equally represented. And, as soon as I enter my local Starbucks store, I can hear over a dozen languages being spoken at once. Even English comes in all sorts of unique accents. Another feature is this city’s large population. The population may play as an issue for some. However, due to this, you may be alone but will never feel lonely. The person who just passed you by may be facing worse situations than you are. This truly helps you be thankful for what you already have. There are also many world-renowned events that occur annually, from the Macy’s Day Parade during Thanksgiving to the moment the ball drops on New Year's Eve in Times Square. And, the energy level is exhilarating. If someone isn’t affected by it, that person may already be dead. You also cannot help but feel important living here considering that some of the world’s most important decisions are made within those thousands of towering, glowing skyscrapers and buildings surrounding us.

New York City has many cultures and billions of places to visit. It can be considered impossible for someone to be able to visit everything in New York City. However, this city is always awake, waiting for new people to be enthralled by its glory. I, for one, love New York City and pray that I always will.

I live in and love New York City. It's a beautiful place that everyone has to visit at least once in their life. You don't know how grateful I am to be a resident of this beautiful place I call home.

on Feb. 4 2014 at 6:53 am
This is really good and interesting. I have loved New York from an early age and this really helped me and my school work.