Human Rights History | Teen Ink

Human Rights History

April 17, 2012
By natalie blazejewski BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
natalie blazejewski BRONZE, Dallas, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What are human rights? Is it the ability to do whatever you want? To be able to be yourself? Or be judged by everyone else around you that think that they are more superior? In the dictionary, the definition for human rights is “fundamental rights, especially those believed to belong to an individual and in whose exercise a government may not interfere, as the rights to speak, associate, work, etc.” but who’s to say that these rights are here to stay? What if we didn’t have these rights to fall back on, to be able to sleep knowing that we are safe? The world would be a very different place.

Human rights have been around for millions of years, but they haven’t always been written on paper. The early Greek and Egyptian empires have always been civil enough to give human rights to their people. But what really makes them separate is how they interpreted the rights. For example, in ancient Egypt the only human right was to be able to work for the royal family. You worked for your freedom, usually consisting of manual labor and attending to royalties needs. It was a very tough life for a large price. Work or die. But in Greece, the world was more civilized, so the people had a better understanding of human will, and thought that it was wrong to make someone work for no pay. So the amount of people working for royalty decreased, and the human rights laws increased. Thus creating the very first laws for human rights.

Since then, many wars have happened over human rights, but were right back where we started. Questioning where we stand in the human rights evolution. It’s a vicious circle, full of fierce people. But from questioning, we get answers. And from mistakes, we get experience. With just a little hard work, some help form the whole world, and time, we can have the human rights problem solved. And no one will ever be able to take those away.


The author's comments:
just a short story about what we learned in english class