The Wonders of Paris, France | Teen Ink

The Wonders of Paris, France

March 31, 2012
By Rockerchic14 BRONZE, San Tan Valley, Arizona
Rockerchic14 BRONZE, San Tan Valley, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
The greatest tragedy is not the brutality of the evil people, but rather the silence of the good people.


-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


‘The city of lights’, ‘the city of Romance’, ‘the culinary capital of the world’, all these are just names Paris, France is known by. Over seven million people visit each year. Paris, France is one of the most amazing places you will ever visit. There are so many phenomenal things to see and do you’ll never get bored.

The most Prominent landmark in Paris would have to be the Eiffel Tower. More the seven million people visit the Eiffel Tower each year. For a small fee you can ride the elevator to the top. The view from the top is spectacular. If you want some exercise you can take the stairs that go from the ground to the second platform. Many People like to go to the Eiffel Tower at night because it is all light up.

At night when it is lit up it looks an attractive golden color, instead if the dark brown it is painted. The Eiffel Tower took two years to build; it was finished on March 31, 1889. The Eiffel Tower was originally built for the world exhibition in 1889, but today it is used as a radio transmission tower and a tourist attraction. The Eiffel Tower is named after Gustave Eiffel, the main contractor and architect.

The Arc De Triomphe and Versailles are some of Paris’ other famous landmarks. The Arc De Triomphe is a 164 ft. arch. It honors all the soldiers who have fought for France, particularly during Napoleon Bonaparte’s reign. Under the Arch lies the Tomb of an Unknown Soldier, which honors all of France’s soldiers of have never been identified. Beside the Tomb is the Flame of Remembrance, which is rekindled every morning at 6:30 am. Versailles is one of the most extravagant buildings in the world. It is a humongous palace with over 700 rooms, 67 staircases, 2000 windows, and 1250 fireplaces. The whole property is 19,262 acres.

There are tons of museums in Paris. Some of the well known ones are the Louvre and Musee de L’Air et de L’espace. The Louvre was originally a royal palace but became a museum in 1793. Outside the museum is a substantial glass pyramid. Inside there are heaps exhibits including artifacts from Egypt, Greece, and Rome. The Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci is also displayed there. Musee de L’Air et de L’espace is France’s museum of air and space. Some of the exhibits include air force combat planes the 50’s, the Ariane missiles, and two concords. It was established in 1919 making it the world’s oldest aeronautics museum.

Paris also has many art galleries. Musee de L’orangerie, the Pompidou center, and the Orsay museum are just a few. Musee de L’orangerie’s exhibits are mostly by impressionist including Heri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, and Claude Monet. By far the most famous works there are a few paintings from Clade Monet’s series ‘Water Lilies’. The Orsay museum was opened in 1986. It is located in an old railroad station. The museum displays art from 1848 through 1914. Many of the paintings are by impressionists. The Pompidou Center was opened in 1977. It is named after French president, Georeges Pompidou, who was in power from 1969 to 1974. The center has a bold design with plastic tubes running up and down it’s glass walls. It contains paintings by Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse among others.

Paris is the culinary capital of the world and is known worldwide for its gourmet cuisine Some of the best places to eat in Paris include Le Cinq, Taillevent, Restruant Pierre Gagnaire, and L’Astrance. Le Cinq serves classic and contemporary dishes. Restruant Pierre Gagnaire is famous for their innovative dishes that will please both your eyes and your taste buds. L’Astrance is well known in the culinary world for their surprise menu. The chef, Pascal Barbot, cooks meals for his guests according their preferences.

Parisians celebrate many holidays. The most important being Bastille day, which is on July 14. It celebrates the French revolution. If you are lucky enough to be visiting during Bastille day then will get to see the military bands, parades, bonfires, and firework shows. Parisians don’t only celebrate French holidays, for example they also celebrate Chinese New Year. For it people gather in the Chinese district to celebrate. There are Parades with bright and colorful dragons, fish, and flags embossed with Chinese symbols. Chinese restaurants are usually backed to the brim with tourists and locals. Sometimes there are also special plays or musicals or even film festivals.

In conclusion visiting Paris, France truly a memorable experience. Paris one of the most beautiful cities in the world you can visit. There are so many phenomenal things to see and do you will never get bored.

The author's comments:
For my Enligsh class we had to write an essay about something. I choose Paris because I've always wanted to go there, but i didn't know a whole lot about it.