Burger Craze | Teen Ink

Burger Craze

January 31, 2012
By Anonymous

Have you ever had a food that you could never forget? You still remember the perfect complexion of taste and mouthwatering appearance as you took your first bite. For many, In-N-Out Burger’s famous burgers are unforgettable. “Known for its made-to-order hamburgers, fresh ingredients, and efficient service,” (Funding) In-N-Out Burger is a private, family-run, non-franchised leading fast-food chain with numerous locations in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Texas (“Location Guide”). The simple beginning, tidy appearance, basic menu, and customer satisfaction each contribute to the popularity of this restaurant.

One reason the restaurant is so well-known is because of its beginning. Founded in Baldwin Park, California in 1948 by Harry and Esther Snyder, In-N-Out Burger was California’s first drive-thru restaurant (Fun Trivia). The couple had the idea of customers being able to drive up and order their food through a two-way speaker unit, which they ultimately accomplished (History). Many new proposals to open their business elsewhere then arose and offers were being accepted at a rather rapid pace. The successful opening contributed to the quickly gained popularity.

Another reason In-N-Out Burger is rather popular is a result of the notably clean appearance. As part of the promise of Harry and Esther Snyder, every venue has a cleanliness worth remembering as there is a policy to maintain tidy quarters (Gilroy). Charlie Palmer states, “the places are incredibly clean. I’m impressed by that” (Chef). Even as a restaurant entrepreneur himself, Palmer took note of the pristine premises. Well-kept In-N-Out locations often contribute to the widespread popularity.

Also, the simple menu of In-N-Out has remained the same from the very beginning, providing yet another reason for customers to come back. The basic burgers, fries, pop, and shakes displayed on the In-N-Out menu make it very easy to order from (Marketplace). There are three combos to choose from that each include a different burger with fries and a drink, or you can simply choose just one or two of the food choices (“Menu”). Without the complications of numerous added food items, people are able to quickly decide what they’d like to eat and drink. The straightforward menu contributes to the amount of incoming customers in the desired In-N-Out Burger chain.

Lastly, customer satisfaction makes a huge difference for the better in the stature of In-N-Out. Consumers are often very dedicated and spread the word of their fast food favorite. Even chef reviews are completely positive according to Esquire’s chef survey. Alton Brown is reminded of his childhood when he drinks the shakes (Chef) and Thomas Keller claims it’s an ideal illustration of classic American fast food (Chef). And although some who go for a burger find it as just average, their number is much outweighed by the majority of favorable feedback. Customer’s enjoyment in In-N-Out Burger surely helps with the positive standing amongst other fast food places.

Overall, In-N-Out Burger’s marketable beginning, clean restaurant appearance, simple menu, and customer satisfaction all help maintain a good reputation. The fast-food-deficient California quickly began to fall in love with the new restaurant. Every location follows the Snyder’s promise to keep the restaurant as clean as possible and the never-changing menu has stayed as easy to order from as it was in the beginning. Approving customer satisfaction comes from an abundance of people, even including chefs. So the next time you’re in the area of an In-n-Out Burger, make sure to stop by and try something there.